Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unfinished B&W Regional Map for a novel

Wip Unfinished B&W Regional Map for a novel

Back after a long absence and all happy to find this friendly place, even if I am a little ashamed not to participate more ...
    A map running, blocked in its final phase by lack of response from its sponsor. An uncompleted commission then ...
    I would like to have your opinion on what could be improved and find some inspiration on how to evoke meadow, marsh and maquis while avoiding overloading.

Cheers,
    Warlin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NovelMapUnfinished.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	846.7 KB 
ID:	110554

This is really lovely! I like the mountains particularly, and am interested to see this one develop.

Ravi de te revoir par ici The map is spectacular ! If I had one nitpick it would be about the sea and the shore waves. They are a bit strong, maybe lower their opacity or put a light grey sea underneath... The river and coastal details are awesome as are your forests !

Great to see you back mapping again, Warlin. You're off to a fantastic start. The lineart is very striking.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That's a fantastic start, and a shame your commissionner is giving up ! I love the deatils on the coastline : tiny cliffs and beaches are very cool.
    And welcome back, Warlin ! Hope to see more soon

I like those northern cliffs and canyons. I think the next thing to consider is probably whether you want to stick to filling out all the terrain types or start in on adding artificial features like regional names, cities, and roads. Because, if you're going to include inhabitants, I think you've got enough terrain detail done.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardInk View Post
    This is really lovely! I like the mountains particularly, and am interested to see this one develop.
    Thanks LizardInk. I'll certainly develop it after a while. Another commission is on its final stage and I have to finish it before.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Ravi de te revoir par ici The map is spectacular ! If I had one nitpick it would be about the sea and the shore waves. They are a bit strong, maybe lower their opacity or put a light grey sea underneath... The river and coastal details are awesome as are your forests !
    Thanks Thomas for the prize and the advice. I'll try to put a grey sea underneath the shore Waves.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Great to see you back mapping again, Warlin. You're off to a fantastic start. The lineart is very striking.
    Thanks ChickPea. Allways a pleasure to Map and to see you there supporting us .
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    That's a fantastic start, and a shame your commissionner is giving up ! I love the deatils on the coastline : tiny cliffs and beaches are very cool.
    And welcome back, Warlin ! Hope to see more soon
    Thanks MistyBee. I wish i could show you other commission work sooner. And all this details take so much time that i fear to be to long to achieve them...
    Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    I like those northern cliffs and canyons. I think the next thing to consider is probably whether you want to stick to filling out all the terrain types or start in on adding artificial features like regional names, cities, and roads. Because, if you're going to include inhabitants, I think you've got enough terrain detail done.
    Good point rdanhenry. I have to insert all the labels and city icons to see what terrain details are necessary.

Cheers.

Those pointy adamant mountains & fluffy forests are fantastic. I agree with Thomas about the shores waves (but very well drawn!).
    Very glad to see you back!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Those pointy adamant mountains & fluffy forests are fantastic. I agree with Thomas about the shores waves (but very well drawn!).
    Very glad to see you back!
    Thanks Ilanthar.
    Here is un update of this map after some terrain features done. I'll probably finish this one the next week, once the labels and frame done.
    Cheers.
    Warlin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NovelMapUnfinished.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	112930

This looks great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast