Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ruin

Map Ruin

Hi fellows,

Here's my latest commissioned work (13th, that's a lucky number to me ... ok, to most of people). "Ruin" is an upcoming book by author Brandon Berryhill. The map shows a world on the brink of total ecological collapse hence the decaying color palette. I used very few colors and very desaturated ones. All was done in photoshop and I have to address special thanks to Abu Lafia who helped me a great deal as I stumbled upon a big rock of labeling on my way to the completion of the map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruin fixed post.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	822.9 KB 
ID:	99937
    © Thomas REY - All rights reserved - 2017

As always, feel free to comment and critic.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 10-08-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Very nice Thomas
    Love the color scheme, bogs/swamps and fields.
    Two things that I like less would be the border, due to the layer style, I believe.
    It looks like it is on color burn possibly.
    And then the choice of font.
    That font is nice for a display font, for a title, but for location labels it feels a bit too busy and harder to read.
    I do understand the desire to use it for the feel of foreignness that it conveys.
    On any single location it looks fine, but when you get a bunch of them closer together the visual problems arise.
    All in all though, it is a splendid map Thomas.

edit - drat, must spread rep.

I like this map. The colour palette works very well for the feel you're trying to give it. John's comments make sense, but, in my opinion, I don't think either the border or the font detract heavily from the map.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Its a labour of love! All that fantastic detail.

I sort of fall between John and Wingshaw with the border. I don't dislike it, but I think it might look better without the gold effect - just line work on the parchment. I kind of like the font

The map looks great Thomas! I like your choice of colors. Really down my alley. The font also works very well and the terrain is done beautifully. All in all just a great map (:

Very cool map but I especially like the font, it is a great fit.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Snagged for my inspiration folder and repped.

I love your mountains as always, and the forest is awesome! That's what I'm trying to accomplish with my forests. Thanks for another great example for me to study.

As far as the border - that's actually one of my favorite parts of the map; I wouldn't change a thing. I kind of see where John's coming from r.e. the font/labels, but to me it doesn't really look too busy. It helps that you used different colors.

I do have a question - where it says 'Great Underground River' - is the label actually following the course of an actual underground river? Or is it meant to be a label for the river leading from Freeport to Trest?

Guild Member

Joli carte ! Les couleurs désaturées rendent bien l'effet voulu

Great map, love the colours.
    I agree with J.E about the font. Looks good as a big labels for major namesm but small size and couple near each other is a bit messy.
    Congratz, its awesome map.

Edit. Can't rep yet, sorry.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast