Thread: Very long page load/refresh times

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I know this isnt the fastest site in the world and it does have a lot of bots and crawlers siphoning down lots of images but the site works pretty good for me. Occasionally I get a bad page and we have had some forum issues with the PHP which seem fixed now. So if your getting 25% of page fails then there is something wrong but it cant *just* be the web host since it works for almost everyone else. Its possible that this website from your location could be slow but its not necessarily true that if the path to and from this site was fast then the site would be slow.

I have looked at the list of items which are not coming from this site in case you have an issue loading something from someone elses site but there are only two that I can see. One is your skype logo link and the other is my sig image. Now presumably your ok with skype else you wouldn't have put it on your page. So I wondered if your having trouble with my image. If you see my Witchlights status image in my sig ok then its probably not that. If what I just typed makes no sense then post back saying so !

If you open a CMD prompt and type:
    Code:
    ping http://www.cartographersguild.com
    or
    Code:
    ping 67.205.21.88
    (in fact check if the number is the same...)
    and see what responses you get. I am getting around the 180ms sort of range which is somewhat typical from UK to US. Yours will be different but it would be interesting to know by how much. For example network tools say:
    Traceroute, Ping, Domain Name Server (DNS) Lookup, WHOIS ping 67.205.21.88
    about 40ms which, if they are hosted in the US, is more typical for them and the reason why the whole world sucks at playing first person shooters when the servers are located in the US.
    Ping.eu says 160ms
    Anyway - 40ms is not slow. So the web host is returning pings pretty fast.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-13-2014 at 01:13 PM.