Thread: Gradient border in Photoshop?

Default Gradient border in Photoshop?

Simple question. How do I make a border as shown in the picture below?

border-gradient.jpg

Looking at the style of the border, I notice a thin line before a fade to background-color.

The line can be created using a Stroke layer style:
    - size: width of the line
    - position: Inside
    - Blend mode: Normal

The fade can be achieved using an Inner Glow layer style:
    - Opacity: 75% is default, increase to lower the opacity 'step' between the line and the fade, decrease to make this 'step' greater
    - Use a solid color (square, not the gradient)
    - Size: at least a few times bigger than the Stroke's size (or it won't be visible)

The one thing I assume here, is that you have the shape of the border as a layer. This method does not work if you want these borders to appear anywhere other than as a border (hence border).

Banned User

Hi gyldenstern,

Since I had to make some screenshots to show you, I just made it a tutorial and posted it in the Tutorials thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=32101

Have fun and let me know if anything is unclear.

Cheers,
    Cornelia

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    Hi gyldenstern,

Since I had to make some screenshots to show you, I just made it a tutorial and posted it in the Tutorials thread here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=32101

Have fun and let me know if anything is unclear.

Cheers,
    Cornelia
    Thanks! Ill head over!

I have been working on a tutorial for just that kind of borders in GIMP... before real life problems interrupted me something fiercely.

In Photoshop, this will work in a very similar way, even better if what Shikotei wrote works in the way I guess it does.

The line can be created using a Stroke layer style:
    - size: width of the line
    - position: Inside
    The line can indeed be easily done as a "Stroke".
    If PS "Stroke" works with the used brush style, do this with a soft brush, to avoid harsh edges. If it is just solid colour, give it a little blur.

The fade can be achieved using an Inner Glow layer style:
    - Opacity: 75% is default, increase to lower the opacity 'step' between the line and the fade, decrease to make this 'step' greater
    - Use a solid color (square, not the gradient)
    - Size: at least a few times bigger than the Stroke's size (or it won't be visible)
    Change that a little. Don't use a simple "Inner glow" - in the original map you can see that this isn't a solid colour, but a pattern of stripes.
    I think that in PS, you could use textures in layer styles. If that is correct, just use a pattern of think diagonal stripes instead of a "solid colour".
    If you cannot used textures directly, create such a texture as layer, and use the "Inner Glow" as a mask for the texture.

And BTW: Hello, fellow Cartographers! I am back. I am still alive - three hurrays for modern medicine - and I have started working on my tutorial again.