Thread: Windows 10 Killed My Tablet?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default Windows 10 Killed My Tablet?

Ok, so I've been poking around here for a few days after a long absence and now my fingers are itching to draw something. Except that lo and behold, I fire up gimp and *only within that program* my tablet doesn't function AT ALL.

I recently "upgraded" (heh) to Windows 10, from Windows 7 where everything worked beautifully.

God, I hate Microsoft sometimes.

I'm pretty darned sure that I have the latest drivers (had to re-install drivers after the OS change), but I'm off to go re-download and re-install them just in case.

Does anyone have a similar experience or any ideas? My google-fu has failed. Everyone else seems to be able to make it work, just lose pressure.

Edit: Forgot to mention, because it'll be the first suggestion, that yes, my tablet is appearing and enabled in the Input Devices section of the GIMP preferences. But it doesn't move the cursor, much less DO anything. Until I Alt-tab out of the program, and then it works on everything else like a charm.
    Last edited by Gidde; 03-24-2016 at 05:40 PM.

I think I liked Windows 7 better too..

Okay, one of the reasons I don't use GIMP is because my tablet hasn't really worked with it. It moves the cursor sure enough, but PAINFULLY slow. Like it jerks a second after I move it. I looked into it a little bit and tried a few things, and I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I'm pretty sure this was before we 'upgraded' to Windows 10.
    As you mentioned, in anything else it works fine (that's mainly why I use photoshop).

I don't know if it's related at all, because mine does move the cursor (at an impossible-to-work-with rate), and I'm quite sure it was happening before we got Windows 10. Hope you get it to work.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Hmm. Doesn't work in blender either. I'll have to get out my old Photoshop disc and see if it works there.

If it's a wacom tablet I would check their website. Usually folks post fixes to this type of thing if it exists. I seem to recall some "ink" setting that had something to do with Microsoft windows but this was from a few years ago and I doubt that it has anything to do with your problem.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

open gimp
    and go to
    Edit / input devices
    and / or
    Edit / preferences - and click on "input devices "

is it listed ?
    if not click on "configure input devices "
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

@johnvanvliet He said that he already checked that.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Ok, I feel sheepish. I restarted my computer and it worked >.>

Josiah, I had the same problem at first when I restarted, and I found a tip online saying if you hide the rulers the lag goes away. It worked like a charm for me. Annoying, because I *like* the rulers, but at least I can draw again

Glad to hear it's working!

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM