Thread: How Do I Remove Unwanted Horizontal Lines on Photoshop

Default How Do I Remove Unwanted Horizontal Lines on Photoshop

I am new to PS and following a guide from someone here on the forums. I noticed now after a few maps that I have these lines I can not get rid of. At first I thought it was something I did wrong, but now seeing them one 3 different maps I feel like it is a flaw of the program, or something I am just over looking. I am using the old CS 2 and was wondering if perhaps it is a watermark hard coded into the program, since it is a free program. Anyways, was wonder if anyone could help and here is a map to give you an idea of the lines I am talking about.

Test Map.jpg

Blog Entries

I cant tell you how to get rid of the lines in PS or some other programs but I have used my own to reduce their impact them here at the expense of some damage to other parts of the map. Hope this helps tho. I dont even know what process was creating them either. Looks like a bug in the program which is generating the map.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Redrobes; 02-03-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Huh, it is interesting that you were able to get rid of them. The problem is, I've worked on 3 maps now, and they all have this line issue. I've gone through and removed everything down to the background layer, and still can see them. Perhaps it was a corrupted PS install. I shall download and install it fresh and see if that fixes the issue.

By the way, what program did you use to fix it?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Pretty sure you night have one of the grid options turned on

Quote Originally Posted by Eri View Post
    Pretty sure you night have one of the grid options turned on
    Looking at it, I probably shouldn't have uploaded a map with a grid on it lol. What I am looking at, is if you zoom in you will see these lines, almost like smudges across the map distorting the image. Even when I strip it down to a background layer I still see them so I am not sure what the problem is. Here is a picture without a grid layer, you may have to zoom in a bit to see the smudges I am talking about.

Atira copy.jpg

Blog Entries

the gimp gmic plugin has a inpaint option

paint the lines 100% red or 100% green or such

set the mask color as that color and run it

or for very regular "noise" use a FFT transform - forward
    edit that virt and horz noise
    then run a fft transform - inverse

example from using a fft
    Screenshot_20180203_215006.png

the cleaned up one using a fft is on the left
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 02-03-2018 at 09:51 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

By default, the grid in Photoshop is just something to help you, it is not part of the image. Unless you add a grid as a layer, there should not be one on the image. At least, I've never heard of that problem before.

But I'm wondering, where did you get this free PS CS2? Was it legit?

If I recall correctly, when Adobe shut down the activation servers for CS2, and they offered a way for registered users to keep installing the product even without the servers. Folks who weren't licensed users of the product have been taking advantage of this workaround to get "free" copies of CS2. https://www.cnet.com/news/adobe-rele...te-2-for-free/ has some information.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    By default, the grid in Photoshop is just something to help you, it is not part of the image. Unless you add a grid as a layer, there should not be one on the image. At least, I've never heard of that problem before.

But I'm wondering, where did you get this free PS CS2? Was it legit?
    Sorry for the late reply been busy with life, I believe it was legit. Got it off the Adobe page IIRC. That is why I was curious if perhaps it was a hard coded water mark because I can't register the program due to Adobe shutting all the servers down that have to do with CS2.

I will try Waldronate's suggestion and see if I can fix this issue. I have no problem using GIMP, so if I can't fix this I may just go back to using that. I just figured I would learn PS because it seems to have more guides and tutorials on how to do things than GIMP does.
    Last edited by Sotik; 02-06-2018 at 11:15 PM.