Thread: Conlang on a Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think if you're going for an aesthetic representation of how the 'in-world' people would make their maps, then using the appropriate ConLang on the map is very fitting. I've always found it interesting how maps in real life often reflect the biases/perceptions of whoever designed them to some degree, so this sounds pretty cool to me.
    Though I do think that the further you go into ConLang territory, the riskier it is - i.e.: if the spellings are too unusual/difficult to pronounce or you've written everything in a constructed writing system, but with only four countries and not a huge amount of small detail, it's probably fine regardless. (anyone who doesn't want to delve into figuring out ConLangs won't feel like they're missing large pieces of key information etc.)

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by science&creativity View Post
    I think if you're going for an aesthetic representation of how the 'in-world' people would make their maps, then using the appropriate ConLang on the map is very fitting. I've always found it interesting how maps in real life often reflect the biases/perceptions of whoever designed them to some degree, so this sounds pretty cool to me.
    Though I do think that the further you go into ConLang territory, the riskier it is - i.e.: if the spellings are too unusual/difficult to pronounce or you've written everything in a constructed writing system, but with only four countries and not a huge amount of small detail, it's probably fine regardless. (anyone who doesn't want to delve into figuring out ConLangs won't feel like they're missing large pieces of key information etc.)
    +1 to this. I've been moving veeeeery slowly (like, over decades!) toward avoiding ConLang, mostly for accessibility reasons. But if it works for what you want it to do, then use it! I say that as both a designer (create with your audience in mind!) and an English major (cite your reasons for doing what you do!), so take it with appropriate bushels of salt.