Xara's bevel tools are among the best. Photoshop has a maximum bevel, which is pretty small, just at the edge. Xara lets me bevel to the center of any shape, thus applying a full bevel, such as the mountains on the top left. It does create the sense of depth, and why I so often use it. Notice the layers of forest shapes stacked that simulate hills and a rise to the highland areas - this using a very slight rounded bevel. Xara has flat bevel (used on the mountains), rounded 1 and rounded 2 bevels. The rise of land to the northwest (under the mountains) uses a rounded 1 bevel, while the forests use rounded 2 bevel (a slighter rounded bevel). There are 2 chiselled bevels, and flat, rounded, ruffle frame bevels - so a wide array of bevel options.

I don't generally take on personal commissions, it's just that I've done work for this guy over the past 4 years, so a regular client for me, so I comply. My time is so limited these days, I hardly take commissions at all, except big clients or regular clients - I have my own maps needs for my own publications, which I can't get to, when doing commission work. So I can see a time when I stop doing commissions altogether. My own publications and projects make more money in the long run to any commission work I do.

GP