Thread: Köppen climate map commission

Post Köppen climate map commission

Hello again.

I am currently working on a worldbuilding project and have created a world map for the setting my community will be engaged in. The map itself is mostly complete, though the climate map is currently under development. I have some experience in the field of laying out Köppen climate distribution, though given my desire to have as accurate a map for my community as possible, I have decided to look for some more professional assistance in that department. To that end, I am looking for someone with experience working on Köppen climate classification maps who can add all of this information to our map ahead of its debut. Likewise, if the ocean currents displayed are not as accurate as desired, any changes to them would be welcomed by our community.

We can discuss the details of payment privately if we decide to move forward with the commission. Thank you.

Style

• The map has already been created by myself. All that would be necessary is the distribution of climate types across the existing map that I would later vectorize for the project (unless you have experience doing so yourself).
    • The topography for the planet has not been completed yet, but I hope that it will be sufficient for the commission. I apologize if it is an impediment for anyone willing to take on job.
    • The link to the wind/ocean current and raw topographical map is here.
    • We would like the style of map to appear much like the one referenced in the following link here and here.

Quality & Size

• Professional or semi-professional (the former desired if possible)
    • The map itself will be used for a community project I am running; no fees will be levied or money will be changing hands
    • 8000 x 4000 would be preferred, though 4000 x 2000 is acceptable if necessary
    • A vectorized version of the climate map would be preferred if possible, as I can then superimpose this on my existing map for my moderators to handle in the future

Time Constraints

We're looking at April 1st as the deadline to begin allowing applications to contribute to the project by community members.

Copyright

We would like to preserve our copyright over the map.

Contact Details

You can reach me at the following email address: vivaporius--at--live.com
    Last edited by Vivaporius; 03-25-2022 at 01:13 AM.

I could see the coastline and ocean current map, but not a topographic map. You state that the topography isn't finalized yet, but that's a very important part of the climate problem.

To put it simply, without topgraphy like mountains, there really isn't much in the way of climate zones beyond some really simplified blobs.
    Last edited by waldronate; 03-24-2022 at 10:43 PM.

Not sure why the topography map isn't showing, this is the one I am referring too specifically. When I meant that it was raw, I literally me blood dripping from the bone. We made the map and put everything together, but I did not make a vectorized version of the map that provides a neat picture as I would have liked. If this is an issue, then I could take some time to make that map and come back with a better view of the two major continents.

IlF4000.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I could see the coastline and ocean current map, but not a topographic map. You state that the topography isn't finalized yet, but that's a very important part of the climate problem.

To put it simply, without topgraphy like mountains, there really isn't much in the way of climate zones beyond some really simplified blobs.
    Exactly , the mountain range and general orography is important because can cause the shift of pressure zone as well as create rainshadow barriers that are responsible for the formation of dry/wet zreas and deserts.
    Also important the underwater too , if you really want to go very deep but most of the time this is an unnecessary passage. Other things influencing are Sun type , moon / moons , volcanic activities etc.
    Anyway if you want I am quite experienced in it and you can reach me at tonelstef at msn dot com.

Here some of my past work.
    https://www.deviantart.com/n-a-i-m-a/gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Vivaporius View Post
    Not sure why the topography map isn't showing, this is the one I am referring too specifically. When I meant that it was raw, I literally me blood dripping from the bone. We made the map and put everything together, but I did not make a vectorized version of the map that provides a neat picture as I would have liked. If this is an issue, then I could take some time to make that map and come back with a better view of the two major continents.

IlF4000.jpg
    about that map the geography , might look nice in the shape and countourns but do not look very realistic , it looks mostly as a procedurally scattered fractally generated elevation map without really a tectonic activity or formations, it would be more like a barren dead planet with no geological activity neither in the past nor in the future,
    Last edited by Naima; 03-25-2022 at 08:27 AM.

Yeah, we're aware of some of the more unrealistic aspects of the map, but it's designed this way mainly for community needs rather than realism needs. The map was composed using sections of various procedurally generated maps, and therefore the tectonic activity on the planet was ignored. My goal was to produce something viable from the map with that in mind since we're already locked in as it were. In hindsight, I probably should have intervened to deal with that, but that bridge has since been crossed.

The goal is to hopefully put something together that is viable for a worldbuilding project. I would have done the climate map myself, but I kinda burnt myself out on all the other details I finished for the map. The ultimate aim for the climate map is compromise.
    Last edited by Vivaporius; 03-26-2022 at 08:59 PM.