Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

Yes, even if you could see shadows underwater under the boat, it would be greatly diffused, and probably a shade of blue, not true shadow colors. I'll include such shadows beneath flying objects over land with greater distance between object and shadow, the further the object is from the ground, but I wouldn't do that to water shadows. If the observer of the shadow was underwater as well, that might be different.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks for the input su_liam and GP.
    I looked over some pics of boats in harbors and will concede your points about the shadows.
    I'll make some corrections when I get back into the map.

image.jpgHmm. This could be interesting.

That was what I had been thinking su-liam.
    Though when I saw some pics where the boats were in a bit deeper water I couldn't really see their shadows.
    This pic convinced me. Only one underwater shadow. Mostly just shadows on the water surface.
    Boats on the water 001.jpg

And, although its generally a good sea-symbol blue, underwater rocks, and to a much lesser degree, the topography of the sea bottom, are prominent. It's an interesting effect, used sparingly for some really beautifully clear water, but it needs to be damn near photorealistic to work well.

As a map, even the photorealistic depiction is problematic. There are places on Google Earth where it's really hard to figure out exactly where the shore is at. A good depiction of high and low tide is wonderful, ambiguity… less so.

I don't think I've said this yet, so, before I get into any more obnoxious criticism, I'm really liking your town.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

This map is FABULOUS! Maybe it's just my monitor, but the colors are perfectly done and I think the grass shades on the side and top are a really nice break from the browns/tans of the city. The blues of the sea are fantastic, and ye gods that massive port! It's the epitome of a giant coastal city.

Wow, it's raining like a monsoon here. I'm glad I have a battery backup or this version would be lost.
    I changed the boat shadows and have done more work on the outer areas.
    Lots of shadows and trees and some buildings. Orchards, vineyard, woods, farms that still need fields....
    Still tons of stuff still to do. All trees are just a base color - still need texture and shadow/highlights.
    Haerlech 03c_001 by sirinkman.jpg

Thanks su-liam. I try things. They don't always work out, but I keep trying new things.
    Thanks as well Kiba. I'm about to go comment on your thread in a moment.

All praise the gods of battery backups!

This is looking bloody fantastic, if I may say so! The outlying regions are developing beautifully and I love the crops and how the field areas are coming together. It's such a privilege to watch you 'grow' your town.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I like the way all the little fields look. By the way what is that big round road patch in the north for?
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Thanks ChickPea. I'm trying to come up with some new ways to render fields and plan to try some new types of fields.
    Might prove interesting. We'll see.
    Thank you Larb. That is going to be a round set of buildings that are then surrounded by some farms.
    I should be starting on those northern buildings sometime tonight.

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast