View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Yikes, this is the first post I followed since I downloaded the tapatalk app. I was not prepared for the enthusiasm (which is not to say I am not happy about). I am a super long time lurker on these forums and this is probably my favorite mapping website. I would love to take part in a community project. Not only to be more involved in the community itself but I used to do a ton of mapping but lost almost all of my stuff when my hard drive crashed and want to get back into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jalerym View Post
    Yikes, this is the first post I followed since I downloaded the tapatalk app. I was not prepared for the enthusiasm (which is not to say I am not happy about). I am a super long time lurker on these forums and this is probably my favorite mapping website. I would love to take part in a community project. Not only to be more involved in the community itself but I used to do a ton of mapping but lost almost all of my stuff when my hard drive crashed and want to get back into it.

Hello Jalerym. Welcome to the Guild

Do you want me to add your name to the list so that you can have a go at a segment of the city map, or are you more a spectator/supporter here?

@ THW - oh my! That is just such a lot to take in all at once (me mouse - have simple brain). Forgive me for not quoting you!

Thank you so much for doing all this thinking stuff for us

I think some of what you are saying has already been covered in some form or other earlier I this very long thread... [EDIT: would you believe its only been 3 days since I started it!]. So far I am under the impression (misguided or not) that J.E might be able to give us at least a sketch of an organically segmented city and some kind of grid system to keep it in shape. I'm all for that, since he did such a splendid job of Guildworld. As to whether he's going to have time to actually do it I couldn't say.

The setting/location is 'as is' on the Guildworld map. J.E came up with a mindblowing Kast landscape idea a few comments ago, with a sink hole to a lake with lots of underground rivers around the place. The reason for the city would then be that it is the only watering place for hundreds of miles around, and therefore a very strategic point in the defence of the country as a whole.

All these things are still up for discussion though

As for the Grand Meastro - since it is Robbie's city maybe he should be the ultimate authority here. You know the sort - the overseer who comes by in his steampunk carriage every once in a while and gives a single nod or shake of his head, and everyone scuttles round doing his bidding for fear of being thrown in the castle dungeon... and you really don't want to end up down there with the Orcs Being as important as he is I would think he would choose a couple of suitable task masters to keep the rest of us in line

The thread has got so complicated now that I can't remember who said this [it was Falconius actually], but I'm slowly turning around towards a more liberal view that time period is really up to the person drawing the map. This is after all a fantasy/virtual city, so we could well have space age next to dark age. There might even have been some massive time machine accident way into the relative future that caused all the blocks to exist in different time periods, with the roads as planar portals between them.

I've probably not covered half your points at all, but that's me all over!

@ Abu - welcome on board
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-06-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Nice idea ... and a very long thread ... but I would like to participate.

Some random remarks:

• A possible solution for the problem of having to get all of the parts aligned properly, is to have the city consist of a large number of 'islands'. For example, a city in a river delta like Venice. Or an elven city in gigantic trees; or a floating city. You will have to have the bridges connect properly.
    • Many big cities I know, haven't grown out of one core but often out of multiple cities/large villages that grew together into one big city.
    • Perhaps not every participant will want to map at the same level. Some would prefer to map the entire city of big chunks of it, while other are more comfortable mapping a few streets of even individual buildings. Perhaps this can be used to divide up the work: have some people create a general map of the city, then map the general outline of some big chunks (putting some important landmarks on the map such as cathedrals) creating neighbourhoods etc.
    • Even when everybody is mapping at the same level, the (minimum) amount of detail needs to be determined, I think. This also depends on the size of the neighbourhoods. With a neigbourhood of approc 200 by 200 metres you can have a lot of detail (specifying individual buildings). With 20 mappers this will result in approx a 1 square kilometre city, which is a quite big medieval city. With neighbourhoods of 500 by 500 metres, you are almost mapping complete cities and the amount of detail can be much less.

Quote Originally Posted by djan View Post
    Nice idea ... and a very long thread ... but I would like to participate.

Some random remarks:

• A possible solution for the problem of having to get all of the parts aligned properly, is to have the city consist of a large number of 'islands'. For example, a city in a river delta like Venice. Or an elven city in gigantic trees; or a floating city. You will have to have the bridges connect properly.
    • Many big cities I know, haven't grown out of one core but often out of multiple cities/large villages that grew together into one big city.
    • Perhaps not every participant will want to map at the same level. Some would prefer to map the entire city of big chunks of it, while other are more comfortable mapping a few streets of even individual buildings. Perhaps this can be used to divide up the work: have some people create a general map of the city, then map the general outline of some big chunks (putting some important landmarks on the map such as cathedrals) creating neighbourhoods etc.
    • Even when everybody is mapping at the same level, the (minimum) amount of detail needs to be determined, I think. This also depends on the size of the neighbourhoods. With a neigbourhood of approc 200 by 200 metres you can have a lot of detail (specifying individual buildings). With 20 mappers this will result in approx a 1 square kilometre city, which is a quite big medieval city. With neighbourhoods of 500 by 500 metres, you are almost mapping complete cities and the amount of detail can be much less.
    Thank you very much for your suggestions djan. We are hoping to be treated to a rough sketch of the layout that J.Edward would envisage when he has time. It was he who designed and portioned the Guildworld map last year for the 10th anniversary celebrations. However, he is one of the Community Leaders closely involved in running out the Annual Awards, so we may have to be just a bit patient. I am sure that he will see and consider your comments, and that the wait will not be a disappointment

On the third point you make in particular, there has already been talk of a 5' grid to cover the entire city, which would give all mappers the same reference to scale.

I will add your name to the list at the head of this thread. Welcome to the Guild City building team

Alright, I'm not going to read through the 14 pages of comments, but I'd love to be part of this project! Count me in!

-Dan

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I would love to be added to the list

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Alright, I'm not going to read through the 14 pages of comments, but I'd love to be part of this project! Count me in!

-Dan
    14 pages? Really? Its only 3 days old! LOL!

Welcome to the team Dan - good to have you along

Quote Originally Posted by Jalerym View Post
    I would love to be added to the list

Thanks for confirming Jalerym. Welcome to the team

If either of you (or anyone else already on the list for that matter) wishes to withdraw at a later date just let me know and l can take you off again - no problems

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    If either of you (or anyone else already on the list for that matter) wishes to withdraw at a later date just let me know and l can take you off
    Mouse The Almighty

LOL! Off the list, not carry off!

Don't have either the wings or the halo to do the other thing

EDIT: its only because the list has been drawn up in the first comment - which is mine This thread has taken on a life of its own. I'm just doing the caretaker bit - updating things.

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast