Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kaherm

I think this is a gorgeous map with an attractive colour palette. The mountains, forests and land shading are beautifully done and the little embellishments like the shields and the title really add to it. My only nitpick is with some of the labelling. I find myself wishing that you'd used curved labels instead of tilted/diagonal ones. For example, The Green Isle label could probably have fitted into the island shape, rather than overlapping the sea, if it were curved. Also, having the label for 'Gray Mountains' curve around the base of the range might have looked nicer too. This really is a minor thing however, but maybe something to think about in future maps. It's a beautiful piece and all the nicer for being your first finished maps. Congrats on that!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

What a stunning map!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

As your well aware, I think your work is incredible. For a first continent, truly stunning effort.

Can wait to see your next project.

I already said a lot in the WIP, so... Great map Voolf !
    And looking forward to see the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I think this is a gorgeous map with an attractive colour palette. The mountains, forests and land shading are beautifully done and the little embellishments like the shields and the title really add to it. My only nitpick is with some of the labelling. I find myself wishing that you'd used curved labels instead of tilted/diagonal ones. For example, The Green Isle label could probably have fitted into the island shape, rather than overlapping the sea, if it were curved. Also, having the label for 'Gray Mountains' curve around the base of the range might have looked nicer too. This really is a minor thing however, but maybe something to think about in future maps. It's a beautiful piece and all the nicer for being your first finished maps. Congrats on that!
    I agree 100%. I also like curve labels. I explained why i didn't do it in my WIP thread here.
    I did some digging though last night and i think i found a solution. I will try the curve for the next map but i am not sure how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by LargusMeans
    As your well aware, I think your work is incredible. For a first continent, truly stunning effort.
    Can wait to see your next project.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald
    Beautiful continental map!
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE
    What a stunning map!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar
    I already said a lot in the WIP, so... Great map Voolf !
    And looking forward to see the next one.
    Thank you. I received enormous amount of rep from many people for this map. I would like to thank you all here.
    Last edited by Voolf; 11-22-2016 at 01:47 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

The details in the frame, the interesting terrain, the colouring and shading: all are just wonderful. Excellent work, Voolf! Have some rep!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Journeyer

Nice Voolf, looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I agree 100%. I also like curve labels. I explained why i didn't do it in my WIP thread here.
    Ah, I missed that. (Been so busy lately, I haven't had much time for reading WIP threads )

It's my understanding that Krita's next release is going to have massive improvements to the text tool, so that's something to look forward to. In the meantime, have you considered doing your labelling in different software? I almost exclusively use Inkscape to create my labels then I export a PNG, and this can be opened as a new layer in your main graphics program (I use Gimp, but I'm sure it'd be much the same in Krita.)

Looking forward to seeing your next map!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks Caenwyr and Ilgoth

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Ah, I missed that. (Been so busy lately, I haven't had much time for reading WIP threads )

It's my understanding that Krita's next release is going to have massive improvements to the text tool, so that's something to look forward to. In the meantime, have you considered doing your labelling in different software? I almost exclusively use Inkscape to create my labels then I export a PNG, and this can be opened as a new layer in your main graphics program (I use Gimp, but I'm sure it'd be much the same in Krita.)

Looking forward to seeing your next map!
    Don't have to be sorry about missing my WIP. This forum is HUGE, i haven't explore half of it yet. I just pasted link to my WIP because i didn't want to write again the same thing, was faster

I heard developers of Krita are working on better text tool right now, looking forward to it. Meanwhile i will check Inscape, thanks for suggestion.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Really cool map. I can only second the others' opinions here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast