Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [WIP] World of Cirrane

Sorry for the long wait between updates! Work has been crazy and with the holiday coming (happy Thanksgiving!) I haven't had time for much of anything. And to top it off, I wasn't happy with the previous style so I completely changed it. I'm still torn on the placement of the mountain ranges on the eastern continent. I think the ones I've already placed are OK but I feel like there should be more.

I used the Cartography brush set from Eragon2589 on dA (link)

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by persona-non-sequitur; 11-23-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Looking pretty good so far. Only two things I'd recommend is perhaps increasing the contrast between land and see a tad, and, if possible, consider using a larger texture for the background. The repeating quality of the current texture is somewhat distracting.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks, arsheesh! I've been staring at it for so long I stopped seeing the repeating pattern lol! I've done what you suggested and changed both the textures and the contrast.

I've been trying to adhere to some real-world rules when it comes to mountain formation and biome placement but I think those rules are about to change to the "I am basically God and if I want a desert next to an ocean that's the way it's going to be" rule!

I'm thinking of redoing the mountains again. I'm fairly happy with the placement but the style is bugging me now. I can't decide, so I'd like some expert advice.

I threw together a sheet of mountain styles that I'm considering.

1. Drawn lines with painted shading
    2. Preset brushes with some original drawing mixed in
    3. Drawn lines, shading done with a layer style
    4. Variation on 3, shading layer style without lines

I can't decide, so I'd like some expert advice.

1 and 3 appear very similar except that 3 has thicker contours. Otherwise I think any of these styles might work depending on how you intend to represent the other map features. For instance 1, 3 and 4 are all top-down as opposed to 2 which is more of a 3/4 view. So if you intend to draw the forests from a profile rather than a top-down view I'd stick with 2. If however you intend to draw them from a top-down view any of 1, 3 or 4 will work, though based on the style of the rendering, 1 and 3 seem better suited to more abstract or cartoon-like forests whereas 4 seems better suited to a more realistic look.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    1 and 3 appear very similar except that 3 has thicker contours. Otherwise I think any of these styles might work depending on how you intend to represent the other map features. For instance 1, 3 and 4 are all top-down as opposed to 2 which is more of a 3/4 view. So if you intend to draw the forests from a profile rather than a top-down view I'd stick with 2. If however you intend to draw them from a top-down view any of 1, 3 or 4 will work, though based on the style of the rendering, 1 and 3 seem better suited to more abstract or cartoon-like forests whereas 4 seems better suited to a more realistic look.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks for the feedback! I decided to go with a style close to #4. Mostly because I changed the look of the rest of the map...again. I'm finally happy with it though! I still have to add rivers, landmarks, maybe political boundaries, and then the final polish.

Here's the newest WIP (this is at 50% - 100% was too big no matter what I did)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12