Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New World Map -- Logos project

Quote Originally Posted by carlansor View Post
    Btw, about mountains (since i saw on your Venus Maps that you do a great job with tectonics ), its something too weird or unreal? Im looking for something similar to Earth in geology terms, with some "artistic freedom" or course. Right now everything is
    modifiable, except mayble the right continent. I want to keep that "reptilian skull like" shape on the south, and the top its from my other map.
    Actually, tectonics are the one thing I don't have to worry about for my project- Venus doesn't have them! Plus, the terrain is already there for me, so I didn't have to generate it. Thus, I'm a bit behind on tectonics.

Your new map is much improved. But your polar continents are still off, especially the north polar one. If any land is on the pole- which is a point, not a line- then there has to be land completely around the top or bottom of the map. And they have to connect at the two edges. If the left side has land up to 27px from the bottom edge, then the right side also has to have land up to 27px from the bottom edge, so that they connect when mapped on to a sphere. Look at that Antarctica map to see what I mean.

Again, I know, fantasy and magic, but mountain ranges rarely form squares. (Tolkien gets bashed about that a lot.) In fact the majority don't even branch- ranges are usually somewhat linear- though there can be broad areas with many ranges like in the Rockies or Himalayas. But look at the Andes for an indication. So just how fantastical do you want the landscape to be? Your mountains right now look more like individual ridges in a range than an entire continental-scale range itself.

But now I'm getting into scientific worldbuilding moreso than artistic cartography. "Art and science" and all, but I'll admit that I'm much more of a science guy than an art guy, so take my advice with that in mind. And on that subject, it's easy to make a grid on a separate layer with latitude lines for figuring out climate. For instance, there are usually deserts on the west side of continents between 15 and 30 degrees, etc.

If you want to say "magic" and tell me to stop bugging you about this stuff, just say so.
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-05-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acrsome View Post
    Your new map is much improved. But your polar continents are still off, especially the north polar one. If any land is on the pole- which is a point, not a line- then there has to be land completely around the top or bottom of the map. And they have to connect at the two edges. If the left side has land up to 27px from the bottom edge, then the right side also has to have land up to 27px from the bottom edge, so that they connect when mapped on to a sphere. Look at that Antarctica map to see what I mean.
    Thanks for pointing that out, im still reading about map projection and other topics of use. Ill fix the north polar next. Maybe not so much terrain?

Again, I know, fantasy and magic, but mountain ranges rarely form squares. (Tolkien gets bashed about that a lot.) In fact the majority don't even branch- ranges are usually somewhat linear- though there can be broad areas with many ranges like in the Rockies or Himalayas. But look at the Andes for an indication. So just how fantastical do you want the landscape to be? Your mountains right now look more like individual ridges in a range than an entire continental-scale range itself.
    Mmmmm squares, didnt think of it. Well, about fantasy i was looking for a mix with predominance on normal, like a earth- like landscape with some amazing fantastical places. But also want it to look all part of the same world. I have to review what looks like individual rigdes, and what keep.

But now I'm getting into scientific worldbuilding moreso than artistic cartography. "Art and science" and all, but I'll admit that I'm much more of a science guy than an art guy, so take my advice with that in mind. And on that subject, it's easy to make a grid on a separate layer with latitude lines for figuring out climate. For instance, there are usually deserts on the west side of continents between 15 and 30 degrees, etc.

If you want to say "magic" and tell me to stop bugging you about this stuff, just say so.
    That info about deserts and climates will be useful next when placing biomes and civilizations after. Since i started writting and thinking about maps i always disliked a bit the "its magic" explanation. Even within magic there are explanations about stuff that, when knowing the variables, makes sense. Im not saying that i dislike magic at all, im just saying that i dont want to explain with magic something because i didnt know how to properly make it or explain it without it. I dont know if im explaning myself well .
    And you are not bugging me at all, in any case you are helping me (a lot!) expand my knowledge about maps, wich is great because i wont stop when i finish this one. So thanks again

If you want to learn climate, Azelor has described an incredibly complex method of producing it which I am currently churning through. If you can find a copy of Geoff's Climate Cookbook archived on the internet somewhere it is more of a rough guide that let's you place climates in generally the correct places- for instance it will say "Deserts, usually on the west side of continents between 15-30 degrees, especially if there is a cold coastal current" and stuff like that.
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12