Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some ideas.

Guild Apprentice

okay, I made a short first draft sketch in about 5 minutes but I started to run into problems.
    storns haven drft 1.jpg
    As you may be able to see, I was able to make the interior palace, outer wall, large watchtowers and various stuff inside the caldera with a small (you probably can't see from the picture) lake, all inside the caldura, including a mine entrance. None of this i had any trouble, and i originally meant for this to be a simple sketch just to get my thoughts going, but I realised that, as I put the houses and village area on the exterior a few things:

1.) because of the steepness of the angle of the mountain side, it I had to find a way to make the area in which houses were built/carved flat, not at a steep angle (naturally) but to do that I had two options: I could dig them straight into the mountain, or create large "flats" or "stairs" in which the houses would sit upon.

2.) transportation is nearly impossible on the exterior of the mountain, which means I need to find some tunneling system in which you can easily exit/enter the mountain, especially with a cart, wagon or animal.

3.) along side of the other two problems, I need to change my numbers. I origionally planned for most areas to be on the exterior of the mountain, being 80% exterior, 20% interior to make it realistic, but it doesn't work. I may need a stunning 40/60, unless I can develop a way that people would live on the exterior conveniently AND transport, or maybe it is best to develop the society (though with multiple other technical issues as discussed) subterrainian. What do you guys think?

Guild Apprentice

also, given the possibility that there are likely lots of caves and spaces in the rock, if they could be dug outwords, could something like this be created on a much more massive scale?:
    Cliff-Haven-house-in-Utah-exterior-1-1580x549.jpg

More like this, they can be carved in the cliff.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/6vmcsiA
    http://www.touropia.com/cave-dwellings/

Guild Apprentice

That's interesting. I think I'm going to go for a look such as Sassi di Matera, or Ortahisar. This is all great. Maybe I can get a final draft sketch in now. Thanks for everyone's help, and if you have any more suggestions to make it realistic or look interesting (Nordins have a thing for style in their architecture) please tell me. I'm open to all ideas.

Guild Apprentice

ok, I'm working on this map, but on another note, at some point I would like to map the cracks and tunnels and such inside the mountain, which isn't something I've done before. Does anyone know what kind of map might do this the best? Also, should I go for a side view or an overhead view?

The problem with mapping very 3d things like tunnels/cracks going up and down and at various angles is a really difficult one to solve satisfactorily. There are a few options you can do a side view and include some "floor" numbered overhead maps, but that is an extreme amount of work. Iso doesn't really work that well for the insides of things unless you do cutaways, but you could try that out. Modern mines actually use 3d models of their tunnels to map nowadays.

Guild Apprentice

That's probably best. I'm thinking of just making a three dimensional version in Blender (I'm pretty good at Blender but I have to get the program up and running again cause my last program unfortunately crashed on my with my computer) but I figured that in the time period my culture takes place they couldn't really create three dimensional models and I was wondering how they might do that and how people of the day would map mines such as this? Does anyone have ideas on what they would do (if anythin)?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12