Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kaherm

An outstanding first commission! While it's pretty clear that you are utilizing some of Trostan's techniques here, you've done an excellent job in the execution. The colors are beautiful, and the linework and shading are fantastic as well. Great overall composition. I'm not overly fond of the font for the title, but that could just come done to personal taste. One minor suggestion. The border seems a bit simple and dull in comparison with the richly detailed landscape. I think adding a bit of texture, a distressed texture perhaps, might go a long way toward making the border come to life. But a wonderful piece overall.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by Wired
    Really cool map. I can only second the others' opinions here.
    Thank you Wired

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    An outstanding first commission! While it's pretty clear that you are utilizing some of Trostan's techniques here, you've done an excellent job in the execution. The colors are beautiful, and the linework and shading are fantastic as well. Great overall composition. I'm not overly fond of the font for the title, but that could just come done to personal taste. One minor suggestion. The border seems a bit simple and dull in comparison with the richly detailed landscape. I think adding a bit of texture, a distressed texture perhaps, might go a long way toward making the border come to life. But a wonderful piece overall.
    Thanks for suggestion. I know border isn't anything special. I spent long time practicing drawing maps without any borders, hence i am inexperienced here. Lack of idead foremost :/. Btw. It was not a commission, but a personal project .

Default Kudos for Kaherm

A stunning map. You did an excellent job!

Good job on that one, Voolf! I really like your mountains and those crests add a nice touch to it
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Sizeman21's Avatar

Everything about this map is awesome, superb and wonderful. Great work.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I haven't seen this map until today. It is really a wonderful map with a great color and technique. I love it!

Thank you Sizeman21 and Tonnichiwa. The maps here are getting burried down very fast, so it is common to miss some of them Tonnichiwa, plus this forum is huge, it is so hard to keep up with everything...

Absolutely rep worthy, a beauty. Your illustration work is top notch, the way you handle the different habitats. I go to your forest now for inspiration. Also the shields are beautiful.

My only comments would maybe to have a little more consistency on your type treatment? I take it you based it on size of area/element ? For instance the larger mountain range has larger type, than smaller ones.

You have 4 or 5 ways you treat the lakes - large/small, on an angle, not on an angle, etc. Loth desert and Desolated lands might be same? I also find a slight curve on the type looks nicer than type on an angle. Anyway sorry to nit pick and I know this is more a personnel preference too than anything not right.

Really love your style. Great job.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

Beautiful work, Voolf! I'd really love to get a tutorial from you or see one in the future. I've just started using GIMP (first time using software for mapping) and am struggling with the learning curve, lol. You've seemed to master all aspects of map creation, my friend. Cheers!

Thank you all.

Snodsy, labeling was a hot disscusion in WIP.
    1. I love the curve text too, but Krita (the software i use) does not have an easy option for curved text. I discover one way to do it recently, i will try it for next map, but dont know how it goes.
    2. Yes the size is somehow based on the size of elements. Putting small labes for Tharkan mountains would be hard to read and the other way putting large label next to small element would look odd. Almost all maps uses different sizes for differemt elements, so i guess it is ok.
    3. I could not use curve, so i used angle. 90% of them is on angle. Placing all labels in horizontal position would not look good at all.

Anyway, that is the gist, you can read WIP for more if you are interested. This is the best i could do at that time with the Krita and my knowledge about it.

Chris Lewis, my maps are 99% hand draw, it is not easy to make a tutorial, like a procedural map that is made from effects. I don't have time and energy to make a good tutorial now. I think can give you much better alternative though. This is the page of Jon Roberts - one of my favourite mapmaker. He provides great tutorials. have a look if you havent already. I picked up many techniques on the way from many people, but i think his work influenced me the most and some people here already said about my maps that they resemble Jon's work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast