Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kyushu, Japan

Oh, that was what you had in mind.
    Well for the old maps they did, but not all of them has this representation. I studied japanese philology, unfortunately never get any info about that. I talked to my wife (japanese) an she said she doesn't remember any japanese maps showing up as east. It was surprise for her.

I searched throught historical maps and did find couple of them with East on top as you said. (this and this and if we rotate this so that japan fits more nowdays maps we will get East at the top)

But it seems past 17th century all maps has the same NS, EW representation as Europe or US and showing East at the top is definately not what Japanese people do now.

If you have some more intresting info about that, please do share.

Here's a past challenge map of mine from back in 2009, I did of southwestern Honshu. Though I used a standard north-based compass rose as you did. Here I used ukiyo-e wood block print art maps I created based on the works of Hokusai and Hiroshige. This map shows all the battle locations in the final year of the Genpei War, 1184 - 85.

This probably doesn't help the discussion, though.

genpei-war.jpg
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Hmm yeah, it does not
    But that is quite nice map, i like it, thanks for sharing.

Guild Novice

Default Great Tones

The subtlety of the oceans and the elegance of the mountains really jumped out at me. Great job on the characters. It has great "old" feel.

I have to agree the oceans are lovely, both in the coastal lines and the antique tone and texture.

My one other comment isn't about mountains or compass directions, but the layout of buildings and streets in the capital city. Usually buildings are directly beside the streets, in order for doors and shopfronts to be easily accessible, but these buildings seem jumbled into the center of the blocks, as if they were trying to avoid the streets as much as possible. The positioning just doesn't ring true to me.

Very attractive map with a lovely colour palette. I think I would have liked a little more detail in some places, like some town names, but I accept that perhaps that wasn't what you were going for. Only real point of criticism is how you have an island and especially the wave effect showing through the dark areas of the compass. I think it would look better if those were erased (I'm guessing the compass is on a Multiply layer effect, or something like that?)
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks for comments and feedback.
    Sanderling i dont put buildings right next to the road because it doesnt look nice to me. I like to have a little space between. This city was a quick paint with a tweaked square brush, i didnt really care to make it nice, just an idea of city 😄

ChickPea i agree, i wanted to erase it later but i forgot i flattened map layers and didnt want to import again all layers, i just wanted to finish this already.
    I think i will work on this style more in next map and will try to add more details.
    Last edited by Voolf; 12-30-2016 at 11:17 PM.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Lovely map, I like how everything feels very subtle.

-Dan

Very useful for a Japan campaign thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123