Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: La Marche de Kanoba (WIP)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thats a lot of mountains! they are fascinating indeed, and the effect that you got for the water is great, I´m curious about the next stages of this map, keep up the great work.

This is lovely thomrey!

The only distracting feature (to my eye) is that the hills and mountains are isometric but lakes and rivers seem to be seen from above. Nothing inherently wrong with that, but it makes it feel like the map is bulging out in spots.

Thanks GnomoGrapher and pjrush !

I noticed the lakes and rivers are a little bit off in the perspective department, the same can be said about the coastline. The map won't be completely isometric, at this stage, I don't think it would be a good idea to redo those features, it would change too many things. I'll try to do better on the next map.

I made several experiments on coloring the forests. The evergreens need another go as they should be of a more dark blue green and I think I can add one or two layers to get to that but here is the base. It's a little bright so I think I'll tweak the color by lowering the saturation of one of my layers. Tried it yesterday but I wanted to sleep on it and retry. I also did the marshlands.

At this stage, I feel I need to paint the whole map to help the details blend more (for example, the rivers pop out great in the forests but they're a little bit flat in the plains), maybe by doing what Max did on his 6 realms map... Dunno how I will achieve that kind of effect as I'm a little uncertain about my ability to make smooth changes in colors but I'll try, I'll just have to take my time ...

To Do List :
    - add some rivers coming from the hills
    - the evergreens
    - rework the sea ripples and fade the light color from the coasts into the deep sea
    - shade the mountains (huge work !) and the forest (huge work and I have no experience in this department) and the hills
    - linework and shading for the chasm at the east side
    - terrain color and details
    - drawing the freaking frame ...
    - reorganize my layers because it's become some kind of a mess.

Here's the last version :

13.jpg

If you please ...
    Last edited by ThomasR; 03-19-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Really nice work there!

I haven't read the whole thread (tl;dr ), but I think you're doing a great job. You're right about shadeing the mountains, it's going to be a lot of work, but will look nice if you get it right. Keeping your layers organized is one tough thing, at least for me, but it's crucial, imho.

Can't believe you haven't got repped, so here you go!

Thanks a lot Llannagh, I'll do my best for the shading and thanks for the rep !

This is looking fantastic! Not sure how I missed it before. Really looking forward to seeing this develop.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Impressive work Thomrey! Your mountains and hills are beautifully done. The swamps too. I'm a bit bothered about the forests (the deciduous mainly) : not sure you need trunks and why not try smaller bumps? A minor point anyway, I'm sure the final result will look great.

Thanks Chickpea and Ilanthar.

I definitely have to rework my canopy. As for the trunks, I could get rid of them but I'm trying to figure out what to use instead. Maybe just playing with the shadows to give an impression of depth...

Looks good. You'll have a lot of works with the shadows and i agree with Ilanthar, you don't need the trunks if you play with the shadows. Keep it up.

Hi folks !

I'm back with this map after a long while. I had to rethink the forests and after several attempts, here's the result. I guess the linework for the forest covered rivers is a bit thick, might have to thin it down a little (going from 4 px to 3 ... won't do the same mistake twice, believe me).

Refonte carte Oltrée - copie 2.jpg

Please, feel free to express any comment or critic on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast