Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Worlds Atlas example

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Not a map update but thought you might like to see some people concept stuff. here is an upper class lady of the therrasamkhuarais empire home of the singing towers (in a different place than any of the maps ive shown). although the thumb does not look as good as the full size.

(did an update hence the repost)

woman4.jpg

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Nice drawing. Did you do it?

yup i did

Cartographer, programmer, language constructor, artist - a regular renaissance man.

Impressive project, can't wait to see more of the world.

If I could pick a tiny nit, I would say your map has a good deal of lakes near the coast - not necessarily wrong, but unusual with Earth standards, and a typical side effect of landmasses generated by FractalTerrains.

Well its a terraformed world x)

more WIP cities

city 1.png city 2.png

Apart from the coastal rings that are a bit too obviously computer-generated, excellent cities! I like the color choices and concepts.

Both cities are amazing. I agree with Ilanthar that the coastal 'waves' seem a little digital and perhaps you should remove/change the glow around the coast. I don't know if these are a work in progress or finished maps, but I would also and some texture to the water since it's a large part of the map and seems very empty now.

It's nice to see your world develop!

-Dan

Oh yes just WIP, im removing a lot of digital like stuff and instead doing manual passes, its been very hard to move more and more towards a hand made style. its all a tug of was between speed and quality.

Well not much updates as I've been reworking my illustrations style, they accompany text and maps. hope you like it (sorry if all is not strictly maps, but i think all goes togeather).

hash105.png

Also a garish raw map showing the general topography of my main world with an overlay of earth for scale

hgf.png
    Last edited by zhar2; 11-17-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Great work so far Zhar! I've been following this for a while, and I'm envious. I like the elevations you have- were they copied from Earth data, or done by hand?

My one comment on the coastlines is that they look a little bit too "fractal", like they were generated at random. It's hard to find similar-looking coastlines (read: with such an irregular outline and so many lakes near the coast) on Earth. Unless this is a planet that experienced a relatively recent sea level rise, in which case it actually would look something like this- look at maps of reservoirs behind large dams to get what I mean. But it's completely understandable if it's too late to change this :-)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast