Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Feb / Mar '18 Light Challenge: Castleton Island

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    Just out of interest, would you say that the density of soundings in the North West corner is sufficient???
    I'm not a mariner, but the North West corner looks good to me. So does the north coast eastwards past the light house.

It seems to me that a smooth featureless bottom needs less soundings, but ridges need to be highlighted with more soundings. So maybe another sounding or two for the Braystone Ledges in the NE corner - that ridge/ledge really pops up from the bottom unexpectedly.

-bkh

Guild Expert

It's looking really good! I can't imagine how tedious it is to add all those tiny numbers, great job on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daistallia View Post
    Very well done. Yes, more soundings, especially in the shallows, but I'd vote for this one as is right now, hands down.
    Aw, thanks Daistallia, that's so nice of you, but don't jump the gun! I've still got loads to do (and not just soundings)...

I really like how this is going. It is neat, it has style and it has humour. Although you say you're in Cumbria you must really be from Northumbria

One thing, though, if you're going to apply a blur to the coordinates around the outside are you going to do the same for the rest of the text as to me it would be incongruous to have clean 'print' in one place but ink bleed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    I'm not a mariner, but the North West corner looks good to me. So does the north coast eastwards past the light house.

It seems to me that a smooth featureless bottom needs less soundings, but ridges need to be highlighted with more soundings. So maybe another sounding or two for the Braystone Ledges in the NE corner - that ridge/ledge really pops up from the bottom unexpectedly.

-bkh
    Thanks bkh, Braystone Ledges now have more soundings, and I will try to continue the theme across the rest of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    It's looking really good! I can't imagine how tedious it is to add all those tiny numbers, great job on this.
    Thanks kacey, er yes, it's extremely tedious....

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    I really like how this is going. It is neat, it has style and it has humour. Although you say you're in Cumbria you must really be from Northumbria

One thing, though, if you're going to apply a blur to the coordinates around the outside are you going to do the same for the rest of the text as to me it would be incongruous to have clean 'print' in one place but ink bleed elsewhere.
    Haha, thanks Straf, I'm actually from all over the place - born in Worcester, grew up in South Africa, live in Zambia and Zimbabwe for a few years, then London. Cumbria is now home though - although I think I have a grandparent from somewhere in the North East...

...and the reason it is neat and clean is that this is the way that I have to go as I really can't draw for peanuts. As soon as I start trying to draw it looks like a 4 year old's drawing

I will look again at the text around the outside - I think that I just resized it without typing it out again - rookie mistake. I will try to correct it for the next WIP.

### Latest WIP ###
    Castleton Island.png

PS. some of the text is not entirely my own, but is bastardized from a variety of nautical charts, with variations - from what I could see, regardless of the publisher, they all tend to use pretty much the same standard text and warnings.

Chris

Making good progress!

Glad to see you put a lighthouse by the entrance to Hackerton Reach.

Possible typo in the Satellite-Derived Positions: 'referred' has one 'f' and two 'r' in American English.

The second magnetic declination compass surprised me. So I looked it up in that source of all knowledge, Wikipedia. Looks like it should be more like -6 degrees. But then 2 N, 73 W is near the southern edge of Columbia in South America. But I won't tell anyone if you don't.

-bkh

Quote Originally Posted by bkh1914 View Post
    Making good progress!

Glad to see you put a lighthouse by the entrance to Hackerton Reach.

Possible typo in the Satellite-Derived Positions: 'referred' has one 'f' and two 'r' in American English.

The second magnetic declination compass surprised me. So I looked it up in that source of all knowledge, Wikipedia. Looks like it should be more like -6 degrees. But then 2 N, 73 W is near the southern edge of Columbia in South America. But I won't tell anyone if you don't.

-bkh
    Thanks bkh, it's spelled referred in British English as well... You wouldn't have guessed that my mother was an English teacher.

I am aware that the magnetic declinationa and grid positions are all messed up. They should be corrected in the next WIP.

Another WIP

Soundings finally finished !!!!!!
    A few minor bits and pieces to finish up (Tidal Stream Diagrams), but I think this is largely finished

### Latest WIP ###
    Castleton Island.png

This is really looking good. Being from the Midwest I don't know anything about tides or sailing, but this map is very clear. Well done Tonquani.

CONGRATULATIONS!
    You finished the soundings!

A minor suggestion: The location labels on land seem a little small and hard to read. Perhaps increasing the font size by a point or so...

I'm really loving this map.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast