Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Worlds Atlas example

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Oh thanks! well i ost stuff on fb, add me if you want.

Here is an update, the style of the maps has been refined. hope you like it.

ggyfyyf.png

Guild Apprentice

I haven't read the full thread yet, but I needed to say how incredible I find this. The level of detail, while still being simple is fantastic. I am eagerly anticipating how you will incorporate the names of the places
    "I've heard that before, from the thing I said just now" Stephen Hughes

An update showing three separate language derived names using my generator, hope people like it (since the forum does not like big files, ive had to trade off some size/resolution):

nation 1-12-2-4.jpg
    Last edited by zhar2; 12-22-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Guild Expert

Wow, that labelling must have taken forever, I'm curious, what's the size of the original file? I really like the coast, and the rivers are nice too, but I'm finding the little trees in the forests a little fuzzy compared to the rest of the map. All in all tho, even with the fuzzy trees it's very nice, it look's like you've put allot of time into this.

Thanks! any critiques anyone?

Well, seeing as you asked

Overall I like the map a lot; colors, icons and overall feel and such but I do have two things that i had to get past first.

The borders that look to be the same style, but stronger, as the coast line had my mind thinking that I should be seeing something more out in the water area. I would not play with the coast as I like where it is at, but I would try something with the borders...maybe make them a bit wider but more diffuse (if I am making any sense), and having that border around the inland lakes is also a bit confusing and catches the eye more than it should imo.

The second is where the mountains have the trees on them. By themselves, I like both the trees and mountains and I think they suit this map quite well, but when they over lap they look quit blotchy. In the south central area I think they work well, but there the trees are quite sparse...while in the north east, there are areas that look very confused and like I said, blotchy due to the combination of trees and mountains.

Overall, nice style and presentation. Me likes
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Wow, this is incredible. I can't imagine how much work went into this. I like the way you've done the mountains- it's very "atlas-y" in my opinion. And the place names- brilliant. I'm envious of that script you have. Any chance it's adaptable to Earth languages so I don't have to go through and make sure I'm not naming a city "pickled eggs" in Aramaic or something?

Siiiiiince you asked for critique, my biggest one might be that when place names overlap with trees, it's nearly impossible to read the names since the trees are so dark. Perhaps you could make the trees a little lighter, either throughout the map or just in the areas where the labels overlap? Or maybe just bolding the labels would help. It would be a crime to hide town names like Hpapkaneyauara and Senemnetulcesonet

Well you can control the input on the apps to give you properly constructed names, infact Hpapkaneyauara means town of the great arrival and Senemnetulcesonet means the peoples wall of voices. so it can be adapted to give out names like oxford and stuff like that.

Guild Novice

Amazing detail. Beautiful tone and patina. Nicely done. Can you give tips on how you did it?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast