Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road to Tiamis

Guild Novice

This is great Mouse! I'm very envious of anybody who can draw landscapes and things like that. Abstract lines I'm fine at, but once you get into having to make things look like real things I fall down

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Thanks Loottheroom

The irony here is that I'm starting with something I know how to do in order to work towards the more abstract lines of the kind of mountains most people hereabouts seem to be able to draw so beautifully on their maps

Against my better judgement I'm up at 4 am, trying to stich a 3 part scan together.

Beyond half way - a long way beyond it - I get the urge to just carry on till the end, but I had to stop myself to get some sleep. More details to go in on the right hand side yet, but this is the whole of the drawing this time .

Was hoping to get it finished by Christmas, but its not going to happen that way. This is probably the last update now for a couple more days.

Road to Tiamis 06.JPG

Removing the labels has damaged the paper, but I'll put that down to experience. Should be interesting trying to match the digital labels with the hand drawn style.

Anyone know any good fonts I could use?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I gotta tell you Mouse, whenever I look at the title of this thread, before it really clicks as to what I am looking at, I keep thinking that the thread title is "Road to Tiramisu!"

But seriously, what kind of font were you thinking about using with it? Something bold? something artsy/swirly? something other than comic sans serif? something electronic? something whimsical?

LOL! I must have had my 'chocolate head' on when I thought up the name!

Sorry if I'm making anyone feel hungry by way of autosuggestion!

As for the font...

I'm not really sure (just to be annoying). Part of me wants to go with whimsical, but part of me wants to go with artsy and swirly but not too difficult to read - especially since I haven't yet figured out how to do a PS style 'stroke' to lift the names out of the darker bits of the background.

I'm going to need something that is suitable to do the title, and maybe a related but more simple font to do the distance chart. There will be four locations, and so a list of four distances to make in a sort of key thing. I also need letters for the points of the compass, which I was thinking of drawing as a stylised crow. Ever heard the phrase "as the crow flies", well I want to make a crow that's pointing north, and have a suitable font to add the "N" for north.

If you could be any help with that I'd be much obliged, but no hurry - since this is Christmas Eve and all

EDIT: And now I can't stop thinking of it as Tiramisu either!!!
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-24-2016 at 06:42 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Fantastic drawing, Mouse !!!
    I want to go there !

Hey Jo

Thanks... and you can go there.

Well, sort of. The middle and foreground mountains are based on a photograph of a little place in the Dolomites that I think is called Geisler, or at least it must be pretty close. I spotted it in one of the two YouTube videos that JP linked to near the beginning of the thread.

So, lucky for you I based it on a real world place - and one that I think isn't as far for you to go as it would be for me!

All I have done is mirror the image and draw an alternative surround to those interestingly surreal formations. If you don't believe me the photos are at the beginning of this thread

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Well, I would look at all of the fonts you have in your CC3+ program first to see if there are any in there that you like. If you can't find something then go to a website like Dafont or some other free font site. You can browse their stuff and download anything you like for free usually. But check with the site on licensing requirements.

If you come up with something though then I may be able to help more than I can now.

Thanks Tonnichiwa

I'll have a look and see what I can come up with.

Looking good Mouse!

For the font thing, rather than using a stroke try using an outer glow, I've seen both and I think the glow looks better -depending on the look you're after of course.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast