Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: June / July '17 Lite Challenge: Inspired by Malacandra

Thanks Chashio

I have a feeling this is the start of a brand new style for me - one where all the brushes are painted in ArtRage and made into animated brushes for GIMP maps. Its the only way I can think of getting around the lopsided canvas lighting.

Since you have the full version, can you tell me if its possible to control the canvas lighting direction and intensity? It can only be switched on or off in the Lite version.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

I have no idea how you did what you did but it does look awesome.

Thanks Wired

I created a new file in ArtRage that was 1000 px square, and turned the canvas completely transparent. Then I added another 9 layers and painted a very simple inside out umbrella tree on each layer. I then exported the trees one at a time as png files, which I then opened as layers in GIMP, so that I could make an animated GIMP brush like this.

I had several goes at it before I managed to get the spacing right so that they didn't look like they were standing in regimental rows

EDIT: the shadow is just a drop shadow effect, but on the map I'll hand paint the shadow on the layer beneath the tree layer

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks Chashio

I have a feeling this is the start of a brand new style for me - one where all the brushes are painted in ArtRage and made into animated brushes for GIMP maps. Its the only way I can think of getting around the lopsided canvas lighting.

Since you have the full version, can you tell me if its possible to control the canvas lighting direction and intensity? It can only be switched on or off in the Lite version.
    I wouldn't respond for Chashio but no, as far as I know, canvas lightning is buit in, you/we have to play with layers shadows/lightings...

Hmmm. Then I will have to continue using CC3 and GIMP for mapping, and use ArtRage for generating hand-painted symbols.

I will of course use it for doing straightforward paintings, since its a lot less smelly than the real thing, even when using so-called 'odourless' solvents! LOL!
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-10-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    No. :/ I checked that in mine and online at version 5 features and I couldn't find anything that says they've made such adjustments possible so far. It is annoying sometimes, but I think perhaps they did that to simulate a natural studio lighting... light coming over the left shoulder and such.

Best idea at the moment is try making your brushes in the middle of a larger canvas to minimize the gradient.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Thanks for confirming that, Chashio

I mean, its not good news, but at least I know for sure now.

How curious - that a smart piece of software like that should be so very limiting that way. That's just downright peculiar of them! LOL!

Not keen on spending all that money upgrading to the pro version if I can't play with the lighting, or at least have it so that its even right across the canvas.

Yeah, the pro version has some nice selling points... but that's not one of them.

I wonder if the developers could be persuaded to make a modification in the next update that would put this right - to allow a choice between the current lighting, and uniform lighting. That one thing would make it perfect from my point of view.

Still - it is a useful symbol/paintbrush factory as it stands (again from my point of view), so I don't begrudge the money
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-11-2017 at 01:26 AM.

It is possible. There is probably somewhere on their site that people can ask for stuff they'd like to see. I will look into that. .... not tonight. need sleep.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast