Thread: Castle M

Wip Castle M

In Italy, there is the Castel del Monte, an octagonal castle with eight octagonal towers. I thought it would be fun to map for a game.

castleM2_zpsvcaw6ivd.png

Still a WIP, but I've got the towers figured out.

I just looked it up - interesting place. Looks like it has two floors with vaulted ceilings from what I could see. Probably no reason why you couldn't add a basement level or a well if you wanted too.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I just looked it up - interesting place. Looks like it has two floors with vaulted ceilings from what I could see. Probably no reason why you couldn't add a basement level or a well if you wanted too.
    Both are excellent additions. I'd already considered the basement, but what good is a castle without a well? Thanks for suggesting that!

Yeah, I was thinking a cistern under the central courtyard. I've seen it done in some real castles of similar design.

From what I read it seems the castle was never actually completed. It makes me wonder if the eight towers were supposed to be topped with spires or not? Do you know? That or even just a crenelated cap would look impressive anyway.

There is a hexagon-plan castle in England that was similar to Castle Del Monte in design. I just can't remember the name of it.

Anyway I look forward to seeing more of this! I love castles.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

One of the sites I read said that it looked like they intended a third level but never built it. There was also a curtain wall that got battered down, leaving the central keep, which they said looked more like a hunting lodge. Impressive hunting lodge. It also was a prison, interestingly enough. Thanks for the ideas!