Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dec '18 / Feb '19 Lite Challenge: Gauntlet

Guild Artisan

Default Dec '18 / Feb '19 Lite Challenge: Gauntlet

Sorry, A little late to the game here.

The Gauntlet, my ode to Raiders of the Lost Ark, opening scene.

I had hoped to get my first draft in weeks ago, but got buried in some other dungeons, and to be honest, I couldn't get the base remotely to my liking. It was one of those things that didn't look like anything I wanted to keep until several hours and twenty some layers in. Loving it at this point though. Well worth the time.

The walls and floor are nearly complete. I may add or remove some of the mold and moss, but for the most part pretty set there. I still haven't decided on the look outside the dungeon. And the cobwebs are a work in progress. Not sure how big, how many and how far I want to stretch them, but feel I am going in the right direction.

I still have a ton to do, the pit, roots, cobwebs, lighting, and totems. Hoping I get it done in time.

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Gauntlet6c.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	705.8 KB 
ID:	113087

Welcome to the Challenge Kier! That ground texture is fantastic!

Those are nice cobwebs Kier. Looking forward to seeing you work this one up.

Guild Artisan

Thank you, I appreciate it.

The ground was just a nightmare. My first attempts left it looking like a coloring page. Gray blobs surrounded by green, lol.

I was getting so mad. So I finally refused to look at as a whole, and just started adding layers of colors from my chosen pallet, shadows, bump maps and slowly built up the rocks, then the ground, grass, and moss in between. Then started deleting small patches of different layers to get the variation I needed.

Going to work on some totems and statues today if all goes well, the webs need something to stretch and wrap around. And the pit, what to put in the pit? and might make it deeper as well, although that be a crap out having it disappear into darkness.
    Last edited by Kier; 02-05-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Guild Artisan

I think I am getting the feel I like. Struggling a little with the vines/roots, they are tending to blend into moss and dirt sections more than I had anticipated. They show nicely on the rocks though. Totem Statues rendered and in place. Made a visible layer, and lightened it up to see if that helped see the details. Although I tend to like my dungeons dark.

Feel the front 1/2 is coming along. Have the pit to work tonight and tomorrow, then the back 1/4rd. Might add some beams stretching across the corridor as its a stacked wall, it would be logical, also would give some more points to stretch some webs.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Gauntlet.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	593.4 KB 
ID:	113176

Looking good Kier. You might be able to bring the vines and roots out more with some highlights and shadows. Not a lot, just enough to give them contrast against the moss.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by PaperGriffin View Post
    Looking good Kier. You might be able to bring the vines and roots out more with some highlights and shadows. Not a lot, just enough to give them contrast against the moss.
    Thank you. You are exactly right.

It was funny, or odd, or frustrating last night. I rendered some roots for the various sections I needed throughout the day, the specialized sections, dropping down the wall, wrapping the statute, etc. Then joined them all into 1 layer. And something strange happened I couldn't get drop shadows, and bevels to work to raise them up a little from the ground. So after reading your post, I went into the map to try again(I am finding the GIMP new version great, but a little buggy), and realized that all the joining of layers had messed with it. So I went back to an earlier save and I could do them 1 at a time. So I am hoping tonight's post will give it the depth it deserves.

Thanks again.

Guild Artisan

Tonight's update.

Think I got the vines to pop.

I was so excited earlier, I rendered this spiked log with stone wheels but when I imported it, it was too large when I stretched it the width of the corridor. I mean comically large. So I had to change some things up on the fly. Shrunk them down to 2, and split the corridor at the end. I actually like the split at the end. It allows me to keep the dungeon going as I want.

The logs are a little off, the rendering process left the top of the wheel further out than the bottom, which looks fine if only one. But with 2 end to end, they look a little strange. I might be able to cheat it in the render and split the difference.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	The Gauntlet10.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	342.1 KB 
ID:	113201

Oohh I like the spike logs. I shall have to have my player experience this!

Those roots really pop now. I think the problem with the wheels is that you originally intended to have only one log spanning the full width of the tunnel, and the perspective is set up for that. When you shrank them down you simply forgot to adjust the perspective on the 'inner' wheels (the ones close to the centre line of the image). I don't know what software you use, but it should be a fairly easy fix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast