Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Terraformed Venus

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    There is a low pressure system south of Greenland because the water is much warmer. But it's high overland.
    So, since my island is surrounded by fairly cold water, are you saying that it should not have a winter high? In fact you say to make it a low in summer? Or5 just "not high"?

Polar easterlies do exist but Wikipedia says they are weak and irregular,
    I guess that makes sense, since the subpolar currents are weak easterlies as well.

The rest I understand- thank you.

I'll probably post pressure maps tonight or tomorrow. If they check out I'll start on the associated winds. And then- finally!- heat and humidity maps.
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-05-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Low but not the kind of low that would get you a monsoon. It's lower than the surroundings but not that low.
    In winter, if it's cold and large enough, it might have a high. If we are talking about the north island, I don't think it's big enough.

I'm not sure the polar currents are right. Maybe they are too simplified? But I don't think it matter much climatewise.
    It's a lot messier: http://www.divediscover.whoi.edu/arc...nts-labels.jpg

Have you checked that map? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...erless%293.png

If we are talking about the north island, I don't think it's big enough.
    That's what I figured.

I'm not sure the polar currents are right. Maybe they are too simplified? But I don't think it matter much climatewise.
    It's a lot messier: http://www.divediscover.whoi.edu/arc...nts-labels.jpg
    I suspect, though, that Earth's arctic currents are so messy because it's a messy area. There's lots of land and islands jutting in there making issues, with the North Atlantic current being forced into the area. All of the fresh water creates problems too, of course. (Apparently, arctic currents are significantly driven my salinity gradients.) I'm going to re-draw my south pole to be just a little more like it, but not quite that bad.

Here, how is this?:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Currents.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	102127

Messy enough?

My north pole is so free of land that I think it would be nearly idealized, as I showed previously. Yes, the currents around the northern island and southern continent do look odd, but that's mostly because it's hard to get the deformation right at high latitudes- I'm no artist. For now I just need something approximate.

Yes, that's my favorite source as a matter of fact.

Here's my final currents (I think):

Name:	Sypheria_moar_Currents.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	102128
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-11-2017 at 12:09 PM.

OK, if no one has commentary on these in a few days I can start on humidity and temperature maps:

January:

Name:	January.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	102186

July:

Name:	July.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	102187

Looks like monsoons in central Atla and southern Phoebe.

It's not really wrong but the winds at the equator should blow toward the east a little bit more. There is definitely a west to east pattern.

It's not really wrong but the winds at the equator should blow toward the east a little bit more. There is definitely a west to east pattern.
    Yeah, I left that little wind over the equatorial countercurrent out. It's mild and predictable, and would have just cluttered things up. I'll remember it when I'm doing climate. (I didn't see them on the wind maps in your tutorial, so I figured that their effect was minor.)

EDIT-- Dammit, I missed some arrowheads, too...

All those highs in close proximity around the southern continent in July just sort of act like one big high, from what I see in my research, right?
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-12-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Step 5, Temperature. Here are the Regions of Influence, using Azelor's colors. This shows areas where hot, mild, and cold currents have an offshore wind, and the yellow is continental influence. I do not believe that any of my continents could have the continental-plus influence.

January:

Name:	JanuaryROI.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	102233

July:

Name:	JulyROI.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	102232

I'm a bit confused about one thing in Azelor's method. He says:

Hot current (red) : areas affected by winds blowing from a hot current. Hot current have no impact in summer since the land is hotter than the water and it’s considered normal instead.
    Does that mean that I should not mark red areas with warm offshore winds if they are between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn? But his examples maps do not do this- they show all areas red, even between the tropics.
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-14-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

It means you can ignore it. The hot current temperature group doesn't exist on this table https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...7&d=1454299273

Yeah, I figured that part out- there is no hot current column in summer. But (crap) I had mis-quoted:

Hot current (red) : areas affected by winds blowing from a hot current. Hot current have no impact in summer since the land is hotter than the water and it’s considered normal instead.
    Also, they have no impact between the tropics either.
    The bit I meant to ask about was that last bit about the tropics. Obviously, summer has no hot current column, but there is one for winter. Do I just treat hot-influenced areas as normal if they are between the tropics in winter, too?
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Yes, the hot currents has an impact at higher latitudes only. And only in winter.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast