Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Terraformed Venus

Well, actually, since my tropics are at about 20 degrees, it turns out that your chart already has the hot and normal columns identical up to that latitude! Score! I don't have to worry about it- just use your chart!
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

Here are WIP temperatures. This is only the latitude and marine influences. Next I'll add elevations. I left all the edges sharp- I'll smooth everything after I add the elevation influences.

January:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	January_ROI_temps.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	542.7 KB 
ID:	102242

July:

Name:	July_ROI_temps.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	542.3 KB 
ID:	102243

@Azelor: Your chart for this doesn't have red or dark red on it. Where does that go?

Here's the chart I thought I was supposed to use:

Name:	zone temp.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	102244

As near as I can tell, elevation influences only lower temperature, so the red and dark red don't come out there. Do those boxes in the upper right corner (continental influences) mean red? But then where is dark red?

You posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    [FONT="]
    Hot current: 20 orange 30 peach 40 yellow 65-70 green
    Mild current: peach 35 yellow 55 green 65-70 yellow
    Cold current: dark orange 5 orange 10 peach 35 yellow 55 green
    Normal: dark orange 20 orange 25 peach 35 yellow 55 green ...
    Con: peach 30 yellow 40 green 45 turquoise
    Con+: dark orange 15 orange 20 peach 25 yellow 35 green 40-45 turquoise 50-55[/FONT]
    [FONT="]

Summer temperature placement: red are only guidelines[/FONT]

Hot current: Is considered normal
    Mild current: Red 25 dark orange 35 orange 40 peach 60? yellow
    Cold current: dark orange 20 orange 35 peach 55 yellow
    Normal: Red 30 dark orange 40-45 (med) orange 45-47 peach 65-70 yellow 70? green
    Con: Red 35 dark orange 45 orange 55 peach 0=
    Con+: Red 45 dark orange 50 orange 60 peach 70 yellow
    But there is still no dark red.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious as I scan through that thread.

EDIT-- You know what? Looking at your example maps of Earth it looks like large continental influences tend to rather comprehensively cover continents that majoritively run east-west (in the summer at least). Which both of my large continents do, run east-west. I think I need to cover most of both of them with continental influence in the summer. Then there would be more realistic red areas, if those boxes are supposed to be red. And I finally found this:

Details on extreme temperatures:

Winter temperature placement:

*Take the second value for a very large continent

• Turquoise: If there is an exchange of water north-south near the coast, its turquoise instead of blue
    • Blue: appear on large landmasses above 50-55 but not on east/west coasts until 70. With a hot current the maximum could be 80-85. The coasts of a sea of ice or a closed sea are going to be blue above 50.
    • Purple: it is usually in the center of a large blue area.

Summer temperature placement:

• Dark orange: not over 40 near ocean, unless it’s a close one.
    • Red: normally between 20 and 35 but can go below 10 with dry conditions. It’s never close to the seas above 30, unless it’s a closed sea.Not near cold or mild waters.
    • Dark red: surrounded by a large red area. Low elevation.
    *Sigh*

Ok. More will follow...
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-14-2017 at 11:32 PM.
    My decade-long worldbuilding project: https://cartographersguild.com/showt...=25569&page=10

I think that these larger continental influences will work better. Or at least they look more like Azelor's example maps of Earth.

January:

Name:	January_ROI.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	102254

July:

Name:	July_ROI.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	102255

On to temperatures...
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-15-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Ok, before I smooth them does anyone see anything profoundly odd about these?

This is just latitude and maritime/continental influences. I haven't added elevation influences in yet.

January

Name:	January_Base_Temp.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	551.1 KB 
ID:	102260

July

Name:	July_Base_Temp.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	567.8 KB 
ID:	102261

I let the Very Hot (Red) region on the equatorial continent (Aphrodite) extend south to 10 degrees because that's a large, dry interior.

Your chart for this doesn't have red or dark red on it. Where does that go?
    Indeed, dark red is not there. I was adding it afterwards, if there is a larger red region. It need to be really really hot.
    You don't have red anywhere, or maybe a little apparently. the reason its not that common on your map is because of land placement. You don't have that much land in the tropic-mid latitude range.
    The equator might get hotter in spring and autumn but we are not doing these 2 maps.

Elevation will increase temperature if it goes below sea level. It is usually marginal on Barth but could be a factor in a fantasy world.

Ok, before I smooth them does anyone see anything profoundly odd about these?
    In july, the transition to the red is too quick. you don't have any orange north of the area. And of course the southern continent will need a lot of adjustments.
    The green southern spot is a little big odd and I think it should be blue instead. Yet I expect that most of the east coast will be milder because of the ocean nearby.
    It tend to stay green near the coast and some parts in the south might be cold enough to turn blue.

Indeed, dark red is not there. I was adding it afterwards, if there is a larger red region. It need to be really really hot.
    You don't have red anywhere, or maybe a little apparently. the reason its not that common on your map is because of land placement. You don't have that much land in the tropic-mid latitude range.
    Yes, the only place with dark red on your example Earth maps is the western Sahara. The area I marked dark red (severely hot) is mostly a large depression.

Elevation will increase temperature if it goes below sea level. It is usually marginal on Barth but could be a factor in a fantasy world.
    I filled that depression I mentioned, but if the climate comes out extremely dry I may actually re-do it as below-sea-level. Great minds, etc., etc.

In july, the transition to the red is too quick. you don't have any orange north of the area.
    You mean to the north of it? Yeah. That's just the way things came out using your tutorial. Obviously this world has peculiar climate that challenges the model. I'll fix that when I start smoothing. Frankly, I may have been overly aggressive with that cold current, anyway.

There are several other spots with problems like that, too.

And of course the southern continent will need a lot of adjustments.
    The green southern spot is a little big odd and I think it should be blue instead.
    You mean the bit on the southeast coast? It came out that way because that's a cold maritime influence rather than a continental influence. And, yeah, it looked peculiar to me, too. Since you have validated my gut feeling, I'll fix it during smoothing. (Really, I haven't adjusted anything on these maps yet- this is raw output from your tutorial before smoothing and taking elevations into account.)

Yet I expect that most of the east coast will be milder because of the ocean nearby.
    It tend to stay green near the coast and some parts in the south might be cold enough to turn blue.
    I did that because your example maps showed the continental influence in Siberia running all the way to the Pacific in winter, including Japan. (There's actually not a huge current there, on the extreme eastern tip of the continent.) That'll be an easy enough fix, though. Should the large peninsula on the west coast be moderated a bit, too?

Thanks.
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-15-2017 at 05:29 PM.

OK, here are the base temperatures (i.e. altitude is still not taken into account), now that I have smoothed them out.

January

Name:	January_Base_Temps.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	925.1 KB 
ID:	102284

July

Name:	July_Base_Temps.png 
Views:	270 
Size:	907.8 KB 
ID:	102285

Is that better? Or is the progression to red still too fast? It's too fast, isn't it?

The central part (Thetis and Artemis) of that equatorial continent is about the size of North America, but that is a pretty long fetch of land to the west of it with only those few inland seas, so I figured it would be pretty dry and hot. Did I assume too much?

For scale, Beta and Asteria cover about the same footprint as Australia. Meaning their land area is somewhat less.
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-16-2017 at 10:25 AM.

I thin k it could be alright.

I like where you're heading, acrsome. I wish I had a nick little bit more time to provide help/advice, but I'm reduced to lurking.

Still, I'll place my bet right now: the place to be, in this Venus of yours, is northwestern Artemis. Save me a patch of land in that long peninsula, for a house in the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Still, I'll place my bet right now: the place to be, in this Venus of yours, is northwestern Artemis. Save me a patch of land in that long peninsula, for a house in the sun.
    Buy now while land is cheap...

But that area is being hit by a cold current, so it may be more dry than you'd like. Maybe it'll be a mediterranean climate, but maybe a desert. We'll see. I'm betting on Imdr.

Here are temperatures after taking elevation into account. (Yes, it stills needs smoothing. I'm working on it.)

January

Name:	January_Temps.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	878.8 KB 
ID:	102293

July

Name:	July_Temps.png 
Views:	248 
Size:	860.3 KB 
ID:	102294

The thing that I think is very interesting are those mountains in Atla that are so high that they are green, despite almost being on the equator. That'll be a pretty big region of those juniper forests that are high on Kilimanjaro...
    Last edited by acrosome; 12-16-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast