Thread: Terraformed Venus

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm working on precipitation. This is all before taking elevation into account, since I want to be sure that my base maps are good, first. Here they are, but I'll have some questions for the hive mind:

ITCZ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan ITCZ.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	994.2 KB 
ID:	114781 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JulTICZ.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	947.0 KB 
ID:	114782

So, In the ITCZs that large massif in central Atlu is giving me fits. Looking at the Andes it would seem that mountains that high are enough to block the rains. So in particular what do you think of that rainshadow in January? But it also has severe effects in July.

Hmm. Hella monsoons in southern Thetis and Ovda. I made the area between them a funnel, to get rains over the mountains to feed a Nile-equivalent river that showed up in Artemis when I ran it through Wilbur. But I think I might need to make those ITCZ rains smaller, st least in Western Thetis. Azelor mentions that Africa's is smaller because it's near the Sahara, and a good chunk of Thetis and Artemis should be desert.

High Latitude Dominant Westerlies

Name:	Jan Westerlies.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	114783 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JulWesterlies.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	1,009.7 KB 
ID:	114784

Should these rains curve eastward over Artemis as I show them?
    Would smaller landmasses like Boala, Fea, and Bellona get rains from the Westerlies? Should I put westerlies on every little island in the correct latitudes?

Extratropical Storm Paths

Name:	JanStorm.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	114789 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JulStorms.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	1,020.0 KB 
ID:	114786

I think that Chitaru and Manatum have too long a fetch to get these storms, like Africa on Earth. Argument?

Winter Monsoons

Name:	JanWinMonsoon.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	114787 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JulWinMonsoon.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	114788

This is the one I'm probably most shaky on, since I don't really understand them. I sort of waffled on placing them on every little island in the right latitudes, versus just ones near continents. Which is right?

And my final question is, how do I combine all of these into a single layer in GIMP? For the life of me I can't figure it out.
    Last edited by acrosome; 04-11-2019 at 01:40 PM.