Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlas Elyden

Just wanted to say that your maps are absolutely incredible, and the amount of detail is simply amazing.
    The style (and the professional-level quality) remind me of an atlas I used to pour over as a kid.
    The scope of your project is mind-boggling, but inspiring. Keep up the good work

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeskaGrace View Post
    Just wanted to say that your maps are absolutely incredible, and the amount of detail is simply amazing.
    The style (and the professional-level quality) remind me of an atlas I used to pour over as a kid.
    The scope of your project is mind-boggling, but inspiring. Keep up the good work
    Thanks It means a lot hearing that as it's really the feel I've been going for.

Equiretangular basemap and overlays at Google Earth are very good resources vorro, I'm sure you will consider it's time well spend. By the way, I don't know what version of Google Earth you use, but the Pro version became free not long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Equiretangular basemap and overlays at Google Earth are very good resources vorro, I'm sure you will consider it's time well spend. By the way, I don't know what version of Google Earth you use, but the Pro version became free not long ago.
    just got it yesterday though haven't had much time to check out what's different to the normal version

so here's an update on the collage map and a look at the latest map in the series: the Fading States.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collage - crop other.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	5.66 MB 
ID:	94761 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arkos, Suma'ya & Zion - small.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	5.20 MB 
ID:	94760

I really have a totally platonic professional crush on your work. Thanks for posting that stuff about the google maps pro, helping me immensely on my project.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilus View Post
    I really have a totally platonic professional crush on your work. Thanks for posting that stuff about the google maps pro, helping me immensely on my project.
    Thanks! yeah I thought someone might find the google earth thing useful

Here’s the key to the atlas maps I’m working on. It’s not final, though it’s a polished version of what I’ve been using when working on my maps so thought I’d post it here, hopefully making things easier for those of you who are following my work (thanks!).

It’s pretty-much self-explanatory, detailing things like elevation, hydrography, geography, settlement sizes and typography, as well as the resource and industry symbols I’ve been using so far.

I’d like your opinions on the key in general, and the resource and industry symbols in particular - are they intuitive-enough? Can you make out what they’re meant to represent without having to look at the key? Are there any in particular that don’t make sense? Keep in mind some of them represent fantastical animals that aren’t immediately recognizable (like indriks and mantras).

Thanks for your time.

Note: the empty space in the bottom right is reserved for more resource symbols as I come up with them as well as details pertinent to city-scale maps once I get round to making them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATLAS  KEY  FINAL.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	95593
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 05-11-2017 at 03:50 AM.

Wow there is a lot more than i noticed on the map and you also added the sea level, so i guess you will update every map with it ?

Guild Expert

It looks pretty good to me, I like the symbols you've come up with, and for the most part they seem to make sense.

A few things I noticed though... Baking, bird keeping, and book making seem to be mixed up, and the symbols for Waterfall and dam are identical, other then that it looks very professional and suits the rest of the project.

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast