Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Atlas Elyden

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Wow there is a lot more than i noticed on the map and you also added the sea level, so i guess you will update every map with it ?
    unfortunately, yes, there's a LOT that I need to go back and revisit, with the process becoming a lot more involved with the earlier maps. All the heights need to be updated and I need to add in the sea levels too...

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    It looks pretty good to me, I like the symbols you've come up with, and for the most part they seem to make sense.

A few things I noticed though... Baking, bird keeping, and book making seem to be mixed up, and the symbols for Waterfall and dam are identical, other then that it looks very professional and suits the rest of the project.
    thanks, I spotted the mistake with the baking/birds/books after posting an updated the main file.

the symbols for the dam and waterfall are different colours. maybe theyre not different enough? I could change to a single line for one and a double line for the other. thanks for pointing that out.

I can only applause you and wish you can manage to do it all. This is gonna be epic atlas. One that i am waiting to see in full glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I can only applause you and wish you can manage to do it all. This is gonna be epic atlas. One that i am waiting to see in full glory.
    Thanks. I'm slowly working my way around the Inner Sea, and I'm really hoping to get it done by the end of the year. I think I'll work on the Old Forest (empty area in the middle of the top right quarter of the collage map) next and then move directly to the Inner Sea map after that
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 05-19-2017 at 11:41 AM.

here's an update featuring the latest map in the series Karakhas and Khuraur

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collage - crop other.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	95890 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karakhas & Khuraur - small.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	4.72 MB 
ID:	95891

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    Here’s the key to the atlas maps I’m working on. It’s not final, though it’s a polished version of what I’ve been using when working on my maps so thought I’d post it here, hopefully making things easier for those of you who are following my work (thanks!).

It’s pretty-much self-explanatory, detailing things like elevation, hydrography, geography, settlement sizes and typography, as well as the resource and industry symbols I’ve been using so far.

I’d like your opinions on the key in general, and the resource and industry symbols in particular - are they intuitive-enough? Can you make out what they’re meant to represent without having to look at the key? Are there any in particular that don’t make sense? Keep in mind some of them represent fantastical animals that aren’t immediately recognizable (like indriks and mantras).

Thanks for your time.

Note: the empty space in the bottom right is reserved for more resource symbols as I come up with them as well as details pertinent to city-scale maps once I get round to making them.

Attachment 95593
    Very impressive, how refined you have made this world. I hope to see the final atlas

Quote Originally Posted by Svein007 View Post
    Very impressive, how refined you have made this world. I hope to see the final atlas
    thanks so do I!

So map #21 is done, which brings me another step closer to finishing the Inner Sea:

Name:	collage - crop other.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	97404

Always good to see a new one

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    which brings me another step closer to finishing the Inner Sea:
    That's 2? 3? steps to go...

Congrats on getting another one done! I'm amazed with your productivity and endurance!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Always good to see a new one
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    That's 2? 3? steps to go...

Congrats on getting another one done! I'm amazed with your productivity and endurance!
    unfortunately still about 8 - 9 maps until the whole area is mapped. then i can start work on the A1 poster map, in the same style, though i might skip the smaller maps of some of these and jump right in to the large one and then do them once it's done. I really want to get it done by the end of the year. I also lost the last few months work on some of the topography on the large map, so i have to go back and redo them...

So I've finally started working on the full size map. I started working withan A1 size, though found it too small, so switched A0 (841 x 1189 mm [13244 x 18724 px]). I spent most of the day compositing my two continent maps (north and south) and making sure that everything is to scale and aligned correctly. I can tell you - waiting for my computer to process the transform function on 5 layers of that size simultaneously is so frustrating!

It almost looks ready, but I need to completely redo the labels and all the iconography as they're composites from the individual maps and are to different scales and are all merged and rasters, so now I begin the long hard slog of redoing all those labels...

a lot of the map - particularly the west and south west of the map - is not yet done so I'll be making it from scratch directly on this map (and then when it's time to make the smaller regional maps I'll use the work here as a template, which is the opposite of how I've been working so far

Edit: the image is so big I've had to split it in 4 and upload it as separate images.

Name:	top left.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	5.46 MB 
ID:	98251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top right.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	7.01 MB 
ID:	98252

Name:	bottom left.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	5.28 MB 
ID:	98253Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bottom right.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	6.63 MB 
ID:	98254
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 08-05-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 LastLast