Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: May/June 2016 Lite Challenge: Orihlam

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    After playing around a bit last night, that's what I'm thinking, too. It seems like GIMP would be a better tool for putting in a white background behind the labels, though, since I don't see a paintbrush-like tool in Inkscape. Is there?

Right now, I guess what I can do is put together the labels in Inkscape, then go back to GIMP to paint white over where the labels go and re-import the background to Inkscape.
    Couldn't you do an outer glow or stoke or something around the text?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Yeah, probably. I haven't done much to see what works best, except that I know mousing a paint tool around does. I also like that a paint tool gives me control to "erase" lines in a clean, logical way, but maybe that's not too important.

This is probably the second or third time I've opened Inkscape.

The way I work with labelling is this: (note, this may not be the best way, but it's just the method I sorta stumbled into).

When you're ready to label, export a temporary jpg of your map from Gimp, and import this into Inkscape. I usually go into Document Properties and set the image size to be the same size as the imported jpg. Once your map is in Inkscape, lock the layer it's on, so you don't accidentally move it. Create a new layer and start your labelling. When you're done, hide the map layer so that only the labels are showing, then export a PNG (on the Export menu, you select the page tab and it'll export at the correct size for easy positioning in gimp). Open the PNG in gimp and copy it into your main map file (it'll all line up since it should be the correct size). You can then do Gimpy things like blurs, shadowing etc. since your PNG is just another layer.

EDIT: forgot to say, in Inkscape you can add a stroke around text, or duplicate your text, send it behind then blur it. That would simulate a glow. I tend to do these things in Gimp, but they are doable in Inkscape. Too much blurring and effects can sometimes slow Inkscape to a crawl however, so be warned!
    Last edited by ChickPea; 06-09-2016 at 09:34 AM.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Nice work on this map. Yours linedraws are pretty net and sure. Great composition with your tower.

Thanks for the advice, ChickPea. I'm eager to try it - unfortunately for me I was away this weekend, but I am determined to get something done for tomorrow! Hopefully I can spend the time on the labels that this map deserves.

Finally at it for the night! Now I frantically add labels.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah! ::Takes deep breath::

Well, I am having a hard time thinking of what else I can do tonight, so I'm going to call it here. It's my first challenge entry!

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orihlam.png 
Views:	458 
Size:	5.61 MB 
ID:	84474

I'm not 100% happy with it because of my futzing with the scanner, and this is the first time I've gone into Inkscape for labeling. To me the combination looks a little funny. But this also means I got to learn some new things! Maybe I just need some new fonts to go better with the hand-drawn stuff.

Well done, Glad you could get it finished.!!

Great first challenge entry then. Your labeling is pretty well done and fits with your Line work. Congrats for this work and good luck for the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    I'm not 100% happy with it because of my futzing with the scanner, and this is the first time I've gone into Inkscape for labeling. To me the combination looks a little funny. But this also means I got to learn some new things! Maybe I just need some new fonts to go better with the hand-drawn stuff.
    I see what you're saying about text against your hand-drawn background, as the text is very sharp and clear. I usually distress my text a little to get around this. Basically, after I import the text PNG into Gimp, I'll duplicate the layer. Then, on one of the layers, I'll run the spread filter at 1px then Gaussian blur at 1px. This takes away the clean edges, though occasionally it can appear a bit too distressed. However, you can adjust the opacity of the distressed layer against the 'sharp' layer to try to get a balance that gives a slightly grungier feel without losing any of the clarity of the smaller letters. Hope that's helpful. It's something else to play about with anyway.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 06-15-2016 at 08:18 AM. Reason: I can't type
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234