Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: WIP - The Eastern shores of Ehren

Guild Expert

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zWIP Ehren-Nations.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	9.28 MB 
ID:	87058

So I reworked the borders. I used a different brush because the other one wasn't going around corners very well, I did the lines quite a bit smaller, and in looking at the examples Falconius gave, I got some ideas on how to deal with borders wich run along rivers. I think it's better this way. I may give it another pass just to clean things up a bit, but I think the national borders are in place... Now what to put inside of them...I really should have done more planning before I started, I'm thinking this will take longer then all the other steps.

Let me know what you think, I'd like to know if there are any major flaws in this version, or if I should move on to the next step. Any feedback would be great, good, or bad. Critical comment's are always welcome, because they're what's helping me learn, I can't always see my own mistakes.

Guild Expert

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zWIP Ehren-font test.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	9.33 MB 
ID:	87143

I got started on some labelling, still have a way’s to go. I was originally going to do black like the stand in title to tie things in with the border, but it didn’t look right at all with the muted colour pallet. Then I tried red, but it was just too much. I still wanted to keep with a semi monochromatic feel, so I finally settled on this colour.

I chose this font because after countless hours of searching it was the closest font I could find to the 16th, and 17th century maps I was trying to draw inspiration from. I tried some other font’s which I liked quite a bit, but they took away from the old time feel I was going for.

I’m definitely struggling with coming up with names, so I’ve made good use of the name generators that Diamond, and ChickPea suggested. I may have gone a little heavy on the H’s, but the names I gravitated towards just happened to have allot of them, so I just rolled with it.

After reading about naming conventions, and creating naming languages to keep things cohesive, I realize what I’ve done so far has some issues, I was just throwing things in from the list of names I’d created, so I’ll have to do some shuffling before I move on, but I think I should probably read up on it some more before setting anything in stone.

I hope I did alright so far, let me know what you think.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

I'd suggest making the borders a bit more visible, they're hard to see.

I really like that font, Kacey. To me it looks just right

I agree with Mouse, i like the font as well. Looking good. And after a quick scan, i like the names i see as well. So thumbs up, kacey.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    I'd suggest making the borders a bit more visible, they're hard to see.
    Thank's Robulous, I went ahead and darkened the borders this afternoon. Turns out I'd set the opacity around 50%, and I put it back up to about 80%. It does make it a bit more noticeable, but also slightly changes the colour, which I don't mind. I'll post an update when I'm a little further along, it's the only thing I managed to accomplish today.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I really like that font, Kacey. To me it looks just right
    Thank's Mouse, I'm glad you like it.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I agree with Mouse, i like the font as well. Looking good. And after a quick scan, i like the names i see as well. So thumbs up, kacey.
    Thank you Eilathen, I was nervous about posting, I wasn't sure if the names I chose were OK, now I feel a bit better about it. Actually I'm always nervous posting here, I find the talent on this web site a little intimidating to follow, but who can complain about learning from the best, you guy's have helped so much, I really appreciate it. It might sound a little crazy, but to me getting feedback from the people here is like learning to sing from a rock star. I feel I would have given up on this project long ago if it weren't for the positive feed back, and constructive criticism I've gotten here. Thank's again.

Guild Expert

Thank's for the rep SteffenBrand, and Skylark, it's much appreciated.

Just passing by to say how beautiful this map already is! I love your forests.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast