Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: WIP - The Eastern shores of Ehren

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, kacey.
    I don't post more because as of now, there are no more handdrawn maps. I have neglected that for a long time now.

Funny you should mention patience...because that is what i also envy in you guys...i always give up with PS or Gimp long before i can make a map that looks acceptable. Fortunately for me, my friend has more patience for such electronic tools. I like what he has done so far with that map you mentioned.

So, if i am completely honest, i'd trade your skill with PS for my patience with pen and paper in a heart-beat

Anyway, that's way off-topic. Hope you'll find back to your motivation for this map here, because i'd love to see a finished version
    PS, and Gimp definitely have a steap learning curve, I've been playing around with both of them for a few years now, and still have so much more to learn. There's some great tutorials here at the guild, and tons on YouTube, and Deviant art. Do you have PS or Gimp on you're computer? And if so, have you tried following along with any tutorials? You can learn a lot screwing up you're first attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    PS, and Gimp definitely have a steap learning curve, I've been playing around with both of them for a few years now, and still have so much more to learn. There's some great tutorials here at the guild, and tons on YouTube, and Deviant art. Do you have PS or Gimp on you're computer? And if so, have you tried following along with any tutorials? You can learn a lot screwing up you're first attempts.
    I'll have to strongly second this one. I was a complete noob with Photoshop before I got into mapping in 2014, and everything I know now I have learnt solely from cartography tutorials. I don't claim to be a pro yet, by any scale, but I have gotten a better grip on the program than I ever though possible. For me personally, the Jezelf tutorials and Tear's Saderan tutorial have been my number one teachers. This site truly is a treasure trove.

I have both on my computer, actually. And i followed some tuts (for example, the Saderan tut) but somehow i never got past the steep intro into these programs. I guess i am just too easily distracted when it comes to these kind of topics (i can be pretty adamant and persistent in other parts of my life ). Maybe one of these days i will keep at it...

It is kind of intimidating though, if you see what you guys can do with it...first efforts always feel so...poor and underwhelming after comparing it to the output on here
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Apprentice Cartography Dragon's Avatar

I love it! That is amazing, quite cool to see. I love the subtle color scheme, and the map elements (mountains, forests, cliffs, etc.) look great. My only suggestion is to cut down on the number of cities - that will help with the naming, and keep it from looking too busy. Busy isn't always bad, but for such a large scale map it can distract the viewer. Just my two cents!

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I have both on my computer, actually. And i followed some tuts (for example, the Saderan tut) but somehow i never got past the steep intro into these programs. I guess i am just too easily distracted when it comes to these kind of topics (i can be pretty adamant and persistent in other parts of my life ). Maybe one of these days i will keep at it...

It is kind of intimidating though, if you see what you guys can do with it...first efforts always feel so...poor and underwhelming after comparing it to the output on here
    Poor, and underwhelming wouldn't even come close to describing my first attempts, they were down right ugly. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage to post some of my first attempts, then you might not feel so bad about your's.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    I'll have to strongly second this one. I was a complete noob with Photoshop before I got into mapping in 2014, and everything I know now I have learnt solely from cartography tutorials. I don't claim to be a pro yet, by any scale, but I have gotten a better grip on the program than I ever though possible. For me personally, the Jezelf tutorials and Tear's Saderan tutorial have been my number one teachers. This site truly is a treasure trove.
    And look where you are now! Every map you've posted is in my inspiration folder.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Cartography Dragon View Post
    I love it! That is amazing, quite cool to see. I love the subtle color scheme, and the map elements (mountains, forests, cliffs, etc.) look great. My only suggestion is to cut down on the number of cities - that will help with the naming, and keep it from looking too busy. Busy isn't always bad, but for such a large scale map it can distract the viewer. Just my two cents!
    Thank's so much Cartography Dragon. I was relieved to see you're comment because the sheer thought of completing all the labeling has ground this project to a halt. I think I may just take you up on that suggestion, then I might have a chance at completing it some time in this century. I feel very overwhelmed by this project right now, but I think you're advice might just push me to finish it.

Guild Apprentice Cartography Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Thank's so much Cartography Dragon. I was relieved to see you're comment because the sheer thought of completing all the labeling has ground this project to a halt. I think I may just take you up on that suggestion, then I might have a chance at completing it some time in this century. I feel very overwhelmed by this project right now, but I think you're advice might just push me to finish it.
    No problem! I learned that the hard way, I was hand drawing a world map and I added way too many cities, I was overwhelmed and left it alone for over a month. Then I went back and erased a bunch of 'em, and finished it in an hour
    Last edited by Cartography Dragon; 09-27-2016 at 08:48 AM. Reason: too many, not to many...
    A dragon with a penchant for mapmaking

Guild Expert

I needed a break from my current project so decided to come back to this one, and managed to get the city labels finished today...It feels so good to be done with them, it’s been a long time coming.

Still have to label the water, do the shading on the cliffs, and work on the trees a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP Ehren-city labels.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	9.24 MB 
ID:	90388

This map looks great kacey, i love it already. I am working on something simillar in style now as my personal project, but your map is looking so mch better....
    I am looking forward to seeing this one in finished maps, want to have it in my inspirational folder! (if i can)

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast