Thread: WIP Mysterious Island

Guild Novice

Wip WIP Mysterious Island

Pencil and Sharpie fine tip pen, on 11x15 paper

This is not the first map I've drawn, but its the first map meant for more than just a personal reference while game mastering. The intent of this map is it will be shown to players who are playing in a D&D West Marches Style campaign (where they choose what they want to explore, and the adventurers will have a rotating cast of players). My goal is to have enough curious old ruins, and interesting terrain features that it will really pull the players into exploring. It will not feature any labels as finding out what that interesting tower is is half the fun. This map is heavily inspired by Blaidd Drwg's Tilvarel Valley. This first sketch I did in a notebook while at work (teehee) and inked later at home.

Feedback is very welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170310_200045.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	730.0 KB 
ID:	93552

Guild Novice

Default Round #2

I have begun to pencil in the entire island onto 11x15 paper. I am experimenting with contouring the land up towards the big volcano, while still keeping it without a vanishing point. My goal is not to draw an island, but to produce a stretched map of the island. I think my lakes look like they sit on an incline and I've no idea what to do about it. I am very nervous to start inking this!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170310_203917.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	548.5 KB 
ID:	93707

I think it looks very well drawn. The line work on the mountains, hills, and coasts give a good feel of elevation.

I didn't really notice the lake issue until you pointed it out, but maybe by "squishing" them you could get a flatter look. Possibly pulling the back edges down and the close (front) edges up a bit to make it look more as though you're seeing it from afar rather than up above.

Guild Novice

Wip

Its taken me a while to work up the courage to start inking this, but I am underway. I have been trying to add in the odd ruin / mysterious feature to give players something to inspire exploration. I have tried to change the scale a bit so the landscape appears larger.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170325_142236.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	861.4 KB 
ID:	93982

This looks like a good start to me- I always have a lot of respect for people who work on ink and paper. I make far too many mistakes for that to work on me! If I could offer one suggestion, it might be to work on the crosshatching on the mountains, as it's a little bit haphazard in some places. Also, will you be adding text to this? Always something to keep in mind, especially when you're working in B&W on physical media.