Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: September 2016 Challenge: Varenthia

Guild Expert

I haven’t had allot of time this week, but I finally got my coast line done, and the border is pretty well in place. I still have some work to do on the border, but this is what I’ve got so far. I still need to clean up the edges, and I've done some basic layer effects, but I'm gonna go in, and shade it by hand over top.

I’ve used many blend modes, and the opacity slider heavily, and overlayed layers upon layers of colour to get some variation. I don’t plan on limiting myself to one shade of each colour, I will push these colours to their limit while staying within the rules...I’m loving experimenting while trying to achieve variation, I’ve already learned so much about Photoshop that I didn’t know before. If I can get different colours by layering, mixing, and playing with blend modes then I’ll do it...For me, this is the fun part.

Critiques, tip’s, and suggestions are all welcome. I’d love to know what you all think of where I’m heading so far.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zseptember chalenge border.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	9.00 MB 
ID:	87375
    Last edited by kacey; 09-08-2016 at 12:27 AM.

That border is *very* pretty! Your land shapes look good too. Really liking where this is going.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    That border is *very* pretty! Your land shapes look good too. Really liking where this is going.
    Thank's ChickPea, I'm trying to make the border look like rusted metal, but it's not quite there yet, still needs some work, tho I'm learning allot doing it. I've never tried anything like this before so I'm glad you like it.

Guild Expert

I’ve started working on the shaded relief terrain, I’ve never tried this style before, and it’s not done yet. I’m gonna add some more texture, take some away, and move it around a bit, but this is my results so far.

The colour is a mix of the pink, and rust, I may lighten it a bit down the road.

I also added a slight drop shadow to the border.

I’m wondering if these mountains are looking OK, should I continue in this style, or just scrap it, and go for a hand drawn mountain?

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zseptember chalenge mount gem.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	9.45 MB 
ID:	87433

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I’m wondering if these mountains are looking OK, should I continue in this style, or just scrap it, and go for a hand drawn mountain?
    The mountains look OK but much depends on what you plan to do next. If you're going to have a lot of other hand-drawn elements, hand-drawn mountains may be better to maintain consistency. For example, will you include forests? How do you plan to do those?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    The mountains look OK but much depends on what you plan to do next. If you're going to have a lot of other hand-drawn elements, hand-drawn mountains may be better to maintain consistency. For example, will you include forests? How do you plan to do those?
    Thank's for the feedback ChickPea. I don't plan on doing any hand drawn style elements in this map, I think that would be inconsistent, like you said. Right now the terrain is really just a base to start off, I'll be adding more mountains tonight when I get a chunk of time to work on it, and then I wanted to add some variation in colour on top of the textured base. I'll probably make forested areas a bit darker I'm thinking, nothing really definite, but I'll have to experiment a bit, like I said I've never tried this style before so it will probably take a few passes to get it right. Right now I'm really just wondering if it's beginning to look even a little bit like the style of mountains that Diamond does that I'm so fond of.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think that looks pretty good so far. The one thing that's going to be hard is getting enough color variation with the limited palette to make them stand out and give them depth. I feel like you're really going to have to layer them (as in, multiple mountain layers combined & set to some sort of blend mode) to get enough body. But I like it!

This is looking promising. It will be interesting to see how this turns out...especially in contrast to your other map that has a very different style.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I think that looks pretty good so far. The one thing that's going to be hard is getting enough color variation with the limited palette to make them stand out and give them depth. I feel like you're really going to have to layer them (as in, multiple mountain layers combined & set to some sort of blend mode) to get enough body. But I like it!
    Thank's Diamond. I really am struggling to get the mountains to stand out so thanks for the tip, I've been experimenting allot with blend modes like you suggested. I was even able to pull green out of these colours by duplicating the mountain layer, and changing the blend mode, I forget which one did it, and I was tempted to use it, but I wasn't sure if that would be pushing the limited palette a bit far, even tho I never added any new colours. I wound up just adjusting the contrast, and darkening the dark a bit with levels. I'll update when I get my water done, which is a big thorn in my side right now.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    This is looking promising. It will be interesting to see how this turns out...especially in contrast to your other map that has a very different style.
    Thank's Eilathen, it really is different then anything I've tried before. I'm hoping that the biggest difference will be actually finishing a map for once, I was thinking that joining a challenge might force me into getting something done... tho it's a bit early to tell, there's so much more to do.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast