Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dec '16 / Jan '17 Lite Challenge: The Gate of Fangs & Some Other Dangerous Places

Post Dec '16 / Jan '17 Lite Challenge: The Gate of Fangs & Some Other Dangerous Places

It's been ages since I've made a proper, complete map...
    Now, this one's not quite complete, but I'll damn well make sure it will be! So, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

The Gate of Fangs, and Other Dangerous Places
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2803.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	91002
    This is Thirren. It's a pleasant outskirt province of the Realm, and provides many exotic ores and stones to the Greater Provinces and the Capital. The plains here are lush and bountiful, and life is easy, but it was not always so. Thirren used to extend into the east, bounded only by the wastes to the north and the south, and the fanged mountains. Here, bold pioneers built the cities of Misir, Rila and Nosgar, and built the Great Observatory to map the night skies; and brave explorers ventured across the wastes and the mountains in search of exotic resources.

Not all the explorers came back, and those who did spoke of terrifying places out there. Places where it was so hot that one's skin peeled off in rolls, places where dogs the size of giants roamed the dusty plains, places where explorers found strange glowing rocks that killed them slowly...and the one we don't mention.
    These dangerous places never deterred the brave (though slightly stupid) explorers, at least, until they found the Gate of Fangs.

Indeed, when the now-infamous explorer Macin ventured through the gate, he awoke the monsters lying on the other side of the mountains. The monsters weren't impressed to be awoken, and laid waste to Macin, his party, and then most of Thirren Province. Only when the Realm's entire army was mobilised was the horde defeated.

To prevent such apocalyptic happenings again, the Realm's Executive determined that the ruins of Eastern Thirren should be left to waste away, and that anyone as stupid as Macin who wished to die - I mean, return - to live in the east was perfectly welcome to do so. Seven forts were built between Pir Solaire and the Western Ranges, leaving what remained of Thirren protected by the gorge, the forts, and the mountains.

The days of terror are long gone, and Thirren is lush and bountiful again, but speak carefully of the Dangerous Places. There's nothing worse than being accused of being a Macin.

I'm still on the hunt for an A3 scanner, and also seeking your feedback!
    Last edited by Corilliant; 01-09-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Fixed the title.
    Man, Corilliant
    That is a gorgeous map.
    I love this just as it is. Yep.

It would be interesting to see some color and/or shading... but, just as it is... it's brilliant.

That is really beautiful.

Aw, thanks!

I tried out some shading with a pencil, but the clean lines got lost amongst it.
    I'd love to make it look crisper, but I'm short on fine markers, and I keep forgetting to get a tablet!

That's amazing !

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Oohh I like that. Very sharp. It gets the point across... sorry it's 1AM here there is no pun filter at this time.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Suddenly a late challenger appears!

This is pretty fantastic, and a great narrative.

Nice work!!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Wow! what an imaginative setting. I'm loving the whole drawing. Fantastic work here!

Wow, those spiky mountains are just fabulous!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast