Thread: Which mountain range do you like more?

Wip Which mountain range do you like more?

Note: the rivers for both aren't really done, so just imagine that rivers connect and flow out to the sea sensibly where there's only a partial river.

Here is Range A:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A - Copy.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	94099

Here is Range B:

Name:	B - Copy.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	94100

Which mountain chain do you think is better and in what ways? Detail, shading, style, size, shape, linework - anything.

edit:

Here's Range A without rivers:

Name:	AA - Copy.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	94101

Here's Range B without rivers:

Name:	BB - Copy.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	94102
    Last edited by hereiam; 03-29-2017 at 09:49 PM.

Both look fantastic, but I like the first one more because I'm fond of those towering mountains and more connected ridgelines.
    They seem a little faint compared to the cartoony style forests.
    But really, both of them are very well done.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

This is a personal taste question, since both are equally well done, but I prefer the second one. The first one looks a little too regimental to me

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the first one a little bit more. But like JVE said, both look really faint compared to the forest, and not really the same style.

I like A more, though both look good. I think it is also a question whether the size of the mountains should somewhat represent the height of the mountain range or not. I'd suggest to desaturate the forests a little bit and add some tree-trunks to them.

Quote Originally Posted by hereiam View Post
    Note: the rivers for both aren't really done, so just imagine that rivers connect and flow out to the sea sensibly where there's only a partial river.

Here is Range A:

Views:	160 
Size:	359.3 KB 
ID:	94099

Here is Range B:

Name:	B - Copy.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	94100

Which mountain chain do you think is better and in what ways? Detail, shading, style, size, shape, linework - anything.

edit:

Here's Range A without rivers:

Name:	AA - Copy.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	94101

Here's Range B without rivers:

Name:	BB - Copy.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	94102
    I'm viewing on my phone, which could actually help with a choice like this! B is better- less "heavy handed" and blends in to the landscape nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, they are both excellent so great job on that! I find it hard to choose one. I think I slightly prefer Range B, though Range A goes better with the style in which the forests are done.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Wow, they are both excellent so great job on that! I find it hard to choose one. I think I slightly prefer Range B, though Range A goes better with the style in which the forests are done.
    Just sort out my zoom function and had to agree with Daniel- great work! The detail and shading style's fantastic. Maybe the trees need to match it somehow? I don't know from maps, arts my thing, so please excuse my ramble here: There's a thing in art called "the problem of green" where you paint grass the colour it really is and it ruins your painting! Why don't we notice this effect in reality? I don't know, but there are two ways round it in art- 1) you dull it down, 2) you make your green of blue-greens, brown-greens and yellow-greens. You usually need both methods. Good luck with it dude, I think this map's going to get awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both mountains are very good. I think I prefer the first one. To me, it's mainly a matter of scale and of what you want to show : the first one is underlying the valleys, the second has more a "barrier" feel, imho.

Based on your helpful feedback, I've decided to go for Range A.

Here, I've updated it a bit. I'm still mulling over what to do with the forests exactly since some have noted that the forest and mountains styles may not match. In this update, mostly what I've done is try to make the chain shape less blocky, fix the rivers, and greened the river valleys a bit.

Views:	62 
Size:	372.5 KB 
ID:	94191

More feedback would be most welcome.