Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post-cataclysm USA

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wip Post-cataclysm USA

Okay, I've made myself rare in the WIP section lately, so here's my return to the old hunting grounds.

I've been commissioned by a private client to do a color map of a part of the USA (Midwest & East Coast) around 1.000 years after the return of magic led to the collapse of industrial society. So we're talking about a massive drop in population numbers, a return of the wilderness, and a cooler climate as a baseline.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeffery Ross Commission (NA) Preview2.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	93826

The rivers are the most recent step and are just preliminary at this point. The final ones will most likely meander a good deal more in many places, and there'll be a lot more swampy regions than today (broken dams, silted up canals, etc.). Since it's cooler, we have lower sea levels (though not by too much), and the already occuring natural erosion has lead to the Mississippi delta moving ever further outward.

Not sure at this moment how my client wants the show whats left of civilzation, though.

The pitch makes me think of the comic book "Hinterkind". The first step looks awesome and I really love the clash between the blue of the sea and the dark red coastline and coast details. The delta is a win.

Go Sebastian !

PS : I would have loved to work on such a commish, that must be very stimulating.

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    The pitch makes me think of the comic book "Hinterkind". The first step looks awesome and I really love the clash between the blue of the sea and the dark red coastline and coast details. The delta is a win.

Go Sebastian !

PS : I would have loved to work on such a commish, that must be very stimulating.
    Heh, thanks!

I must say, when I first heard the description of the job I cracked my knuckles, all exited that I'd get to draw a bombed out, post-apocalyptic USA (craters! so many craters! wastelands! ruined cities! yay!), but the actual task I have now also offers some great means play with the shape of the land.

That ocean colouring is just beautiful

Do you use a specific technique to do that, or does it just kind of... happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That ocean colouring is just beautiful

Do you use a specific technique to do that, or does it just kind of... happen?
    Trial and error... a lot of exhausting trial and error. And a lot of different layer styles and adjustment layers on top of one another.

Thanks Wired - I guess hard work really is the only answer if you want a thing of quality

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks Wired - I guess hard work really is the only answer if you want a thing of quality
    Afraid so. And it's not like I haven't looked for easier ways, given I'm lazy by nature.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I love your work, here !!!! And special congratulations for the Mississipi delta ! It really looks great, and give the real feeling of a lower sea !

Okay, the next update. I've put the majority of the shading in place (the bulk is always the mountains, and the rest will be added later as I progress) and started with laying in some basic colors -- and with a forest example!

Name:	Jeffery Ross Commission (NA) Preview3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	93896

Forest style example (decidous):

Name:	Jeffery Ross Commission (NA) Forest test.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	588.0 KB 
ID:	93897
    What do you think?

I really love the forest, but it does look a lot more like coniferous forest than deciduous to me.

Are you going to blend the feet of those mountains and hills into the level a bit more?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast