Thread: Geographically Correct, Fictional Railroad Maps of the United States

Default Geographically Correct, Fictional Railroad Maps of the United States

What I Am Looking For

I am looking for a map (or, preferably, a series of maps) for a longstanding hobby project of mine. I would like to map the railroads of the United States from about 1930-1945 in a series of six transcontinental and three regional systems. They would be based off of the maps commonly found in the Official Guide of the Railways which are greatly distorted as far as geography, as well as being in various scales. Their maps are generally this style:
    http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Chicag...ystem-Map-1909

Design/Style

What I need is a geographically correct map/maps with the basic political (state/national) boundaries. Major cities on line and large junctions would be necessary. Intermediate stations would be preferred, if it could be easily done, but not mandatory. As for additional details such as topography, I have no need-unless, again, it is not difficult for you to add it. All I really need is something like these:
    https://medium.com/@mergerproject/19...d-cfa30500b36a

Number of Maps/Cost

The former depends on the latter, of course. I would like to build a set of nine maps, eventually, as a first goal. These would be:
    • Six transcontinental railroad systems, each involving mapping anywhere from 23,000 to 40,000 limes of rail lines each, and
    • Three regional railroad systems, each involving mapping 13,000 miles of rail lines each.

As to cost, since I (obviously) know nothing whatever about mapmaking, I have no idea where this request falls on a scale of from "I can knock this out in an afternoon" to "you don't know what you are asking". If I can acquire the first nine, then-if my budget will allow-I would like to move toward any or all of the following supplement maps:

• Three Canadian transcontinental railroads, of 12,000 to 17,000 miles.
    • A United States map, showing all nine US railroads at once.
    • A Canadian map, showing all three Canadian railroads at once.
    • A set of three US transcontinental railroads, each combined with one US regional railroad.
    • A set of three US transcontinental railroads, each combined with one Canadian transcontinental railroad.
    • A combined US/Canada map, showing the six (two sets of thre above) at once.
    • A map of Mexico, with 5-6 different railroads (on a single map), involving mapping approximately 15,000 miles of rail lines total.

If these additional projects are a concern, please let me know your limits (of time and patience!).

Copyright

I have no interest in any right to these, save for possibly sharing them on an alternate history website. Keep it all, and if you can find a profitable use for them, well, Lord love ya...

Payment
    I have a credit card, you have Paypal? That is about the limit of my technical abilities for online purchasing.

Deadline
    You take the time you want/need, and I won't object. I have been fiddling around with this for twenty years and haven't been able to finish a map yet. So, on the one hand, there is no hurry. On the other hand, I'm over 50 years old so I haven't got forever.

Contact
    Since I am one of those posters that only joined to ask impossible requests for unrealistic ideas, I haven't the ability to engage in PM's yet. Any questions/abuse ought best be directed to:

Kevin C. Smith
    kevincsmith54124 (at) yahoo (dot) com

With sincere thanks-and abject apologies, where appropriate.

Good day, I think this might be an intriguing project. I have sent you an email to discuss further!

You can view my portfolio here, and contact me at greendinomaps at gmail.com

cheers,
    Greendino
    Dungeon master, World Builder, and Mapmaker.
    Taking Commissions
    View my Portfolio
    Contact me at greendinomaps@gmail.com

Members/Moderators/Mapmakers (Friend, Romans, countrymen?):

I have received more replies than I had expected and more quickly that I had dared hope! Things look promising enough that I think I can say that my request (barring any unexpected complications) can be marked as "Taken".

I must, though, before I disappear to the Archives, thank the Guild members who have so kindly responded to a neophyte here. Everyone, including those that I have not been able to commission, has been helpful and forthcoming. I am in ongoing discussions with 2-3 memebers whose work looks promising, and they are all unfailingly patient and helpful. You have a wonderful online community here, and I thank you all once again for you generous assistance.