Thread: Wilbur 3D mesh output help

Help Wilbur 3D mesh output help

I'm posting here because the Wilbur heightfield generation program links here for support.

http://www.fracterra.com/wilbur.html

The problem I am having is that the 3D Wavefront OBJ data is being outputted as a completely flat mesh. I was wondering if anyone here was having similar problems with flat terrain? The PNG output works fine, as does the CSV output.

Has anyone had the same problem?

I am using Wilbur 1.83.00.00 on Windows 7 Pro x64.

Blog Entries

looks to be busted
    the out put is flat in Blender
    even when multiplying x 100 the noise
    and reading the data in the TEXT based obj format -- it looks a bit off

i would just export a 32 bit float or 16 bit unsigned and use that heightmap ad a displacement map in the 3d program
    example a 16 bit png imported as a displacement map

but i am not the creator of the program , so i might be missing something
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

But I need a mesh that I can edit in another program. Are there free converters from PNG to OBJ or STL?

Are there older versions of Wilbur that I could try?

[edit]

I just tried version 1.62.00.00 and OBJ output is working.

http://www.fracterra.com/Wilbur162.zip
    Last edited by posfan12; 08-20-2015 at 04:39 AM.

In Wilbur I have set "Surface" > "Map Info" to 40960, 40960, -40960, -40960; and "Surface" > "Size" to 128x128.

However in the mesh output the mesh only goes to +-40320 units instead of +-40960 units. How do I get the "extra" row so that there are 129x129 vertices, but 128x128 quads? World Machine has a +1 option, but I can't find this in Wilbur.

Thanks.

[edit]

I used these values instead and got it working:

Size: 129x129px
    Map Info: -40960, -40960, +41600, +41600
    Span: 0, +15360
    Last edited by posfan12; 08-20-2015 at 05:53 AM.

I suspect that your original "flat" output was just flat relative to the size of the export. The default vertical extent in Wilbur is +/- 1 unit, which is likely to appear flat in most reasonable viewers. As you discovered, changing the vertical span will result in better output.

The 3D output in Wilbur hasn't been touched in a bit over 10 years, so I'm not sure how well it actually works. It was based on much older code that was a little suspicious even then. As johnvanvliet pointed out, the common usage for getting geometry out of Wilbur is to use a grayscale height image as a displacement map on a quad (or sphere or whatever base geometry is chosen).

Blog Entries

the first image i posted IS a 3d mesh in Blender
    it was made from using the image in the second image as a displacement map

even the very old " Anim8tor" for Win98 and WinXP supported that

there might be some 3d "freeware" / "crapware" programs that do not
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I suspect that your original "flat" output was just flat relative to the size of the export. The default vertical extent in Wilbur is +/- 1 unit, which is likely to appear flat in most reasonable viewers. As you discovered, changing the vertical span will result in better output.
    I was using the same span in both cases, and the output didn't just *appear* flat. It had identical height for each vertex when looking in a text editor. As i said, rolling back to an earlier version of Wilbur fixed this.

And additional note: Wilbur's OBJ output uses the tab character instead of a space to separate values. This made the import fail in MeshLab. I had to replace the tab characters with spaces in order to get MeshLab to accept it.
    Last edited by posfan12; 08-20-2015 at 02:26 PM.