Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Town of Rook WIP

Wip Town of Rook WIP

The next map for my client, a town map: Rook. You can find it on the Gardenoor map I recently made. I have gotten the building placement down and now I am working on the cliffs beside the small farming town.

What do you think of the cliffs? Do you think there is too much detail on the cliffs? It is going to be full colour and full shade in the end.

Here's a portion of the map:

Rook copy copy.jpg

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Member Facebook Connected madbird-valiant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    What do you think of the cliffs? Do you think there is too much detail on the cliffs? It is going to be full colour and full shade in the end.
    I think it'll depend how you finish the buildings, since at the moment the cliffs at the bottom are a lot more detailed (nicely done btw) than the buildings are.

What about the large building in the upper central? It has no chimney. Is it a barn or something alike?
    You said it's a portion of the map. How large is the overall town?
    About the cliff I can't say much as I have no experience about that sort of things so I'll wait for an update.

There is some minor shadow inconsistency on the buildings. I really like those cliffs, I think it's difficult to determine if they fit the style of the buildings so early on though.

Quote Originally Posted by madbird-valiant View Post
    I think it'll depend how you finish the buildings, since at the moment the cliffs at the bottom are a lot more detailed (nicely done btw) than the buildings are.
    Thanks! I'm going to work on the buildings now and see where it leaves me..

Quote Originally Posted by Eld View Post
    What about the large building in the upper central? It has no chimney. Is it a barn or something alike?
    You said it's a portion of the map. How large is the overall town?
    About the cliff I can't say much as I have no experience about that sort of things so I'll wait for an update.
    Thanks for catching that, no it's not a barn, I'll have to add a chimney. The town isn't too much larger than this, there is just a bit of fields and a windmill to the north and mostly that's it (I just didn't include it because it is kind of empty at the moment and I just want feedback about the cliffs).

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    There is some minor shadow inconsistency on the buildings. I really like those cliffs, I think it's difficult to determine if they fit the style of the buildings so early on though.
    The shading is FAR from final, I just put that together to get a bit of a feel for it a bit better. Yes, I agree, we'll see how it looks when the buildings have a bit more detail.

Thanks again everyone!

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Testing out some roofing on the houses. I'm not very good at detailing houses so I don't know what else to add. I was thinking some barrels, carts, ect... around the houses but is there anything I could add to the houses directly? I was told to think of a "Viking longhouse", a simple single story farmhouse. I'm still uncertain if this fits in with the very detailed cliffs. Any suggestions or opinions would be very helpful

Here's a snippet of the map.

Rook copy copy.jpg

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

You could vary the shapes a little. Perhaps something L-shaped or even U-shaped? You could also add some outbuildings, stables etc.

What you've got so far looks really nice.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    You could vary the shapes a little. Perhaps something L-shaped or even U-shaped? You could also add some outbuildings, stables etc.

What you've got so far looks really nice.
    Thanks ChickPea! I have added some buildings out in the field and stuff now..

So an update. I've gotten a good chunk of the linework done, which I can't wait to see shaded!!

I started on this field style, just thought I'd ask what you thought of it.. I've gotten a small portion of it done in the center. It's very time efficient as it's just a brush with a layer style with fill as %0 and a stroke. There's also just some livestock chilling up there in the corner... I've started to draw some livestock that I will place around the map... ignore them.

Rook.jpg

Thoughts or comments?

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Some colour testing...

Well, what do you think? What is much more cartoony and I'm almost for sure not going with it, but I thought I'd just test it out.

Here are two cropped portions of the image. Also let me know what you think of the field.

Rook1.jpg

Rook2.jpg

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good both of them - you're the only one who can decide the style of it - especially since it should fit your other maps of the region
    Oh, and thanks for the tip about the outline brush with fill 0% - hadn't thought of that and have painted my own greenery on both sides
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast