Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Itinerarium Alchymicum

Default Itinerarium Alchymicum

I had started this map as a last minute entry for May 2016 Challenge: Map a Trading Route, but never managed to post it before the deadline. So, the Itinerarium Alchymicum shows the dangerous routes along which the most precious resource in the world - the philosophers' stone - is collected, smuggled and traded from the source in the strange inhuman lands to the power (and gold) hungry alchemists in the civilization inspired by the Byzantine Empire.

Of course, there are more mysteries about the origin and the nature of the philosophers' stone in this D&D setting, and I hope to get some dice rolling all over this map soon...

Done in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator CS3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ItinerariumAlchymicum RGB.jpg 
Views:	760 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	84264  
    Last edited by Shall Teclex; 06-06-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

A lovely piece of work here ST and definitely rep-worthy!

I'm not a huge fan of the symbols on the map. They work nicely on the sidebars but don't quite work for me on the main map. Otherwise, it's a gorgeous, well-coloured and detailed piece of work with great composition. A shame you didn't get it uploaded in time for the challenge; it coulda been a real contender, but nonetheless you've created a great map!

I tend to agree with GLS. This is a very lovely piece, but the symbols on the map are a bit distracting. Likewise the mystic symbol in the ocean looks a bit odd when zoomed in. But I do really like the composition. The colors are nice as well. This would have made a strong entry.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

It's a sumptuous composition but I have to agree with others about the symbols. They look cool and at first I thought they were alternative writing, but seems not given the same symbols are used for different places, so it's unclear what they mean. And because they're quite big, it's unclear exactly where the locations exactly are, and which location is which.

Agreed on the symbols, which are extremely difficult to make sense of, both visually on the map as well as whatever stylized shapes they may have. But as Robulous says, the overall scope and style really are sumptuous.

I especially like some of the small details in the terrain, such as the chimney-like mounds to the northwest of the Lost Empire; with the small apertures they remind me of the cave-homes in Cappadocia. And the yurt-homes hint of another unique culture nearby--I'd love to see more like this elsewhere in the map.

Also, on the right-hand sidebar, in the section for the Lost Empire, did you mean to write "Equestrian Plains"? Or is there some sort of portal to an actual plane of equines?

I really enjoy the feel of the map, the coloring and the texture. I really like the way it is nestled between the two side panels. There is also a nice transparency on the reds that makes it feel like ink. I agree with others on the symbols.

I am inclined to agree with the others about the symbols, so I'll skip commenting on those. I will say that the map itself is absolutely beautiful. The colouring and textures are fantastic and I absolutely love it!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I'm afraid I'll echo everyone else on the symbols.. besides that, it's GORGEOUS! What a shame you didn't get it up in time for the challenge.

It's a beautiful map, I love the style, the wavelines around the coast, the forests, mountains, towns, border.. Everything! Fabulous job.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Except for this big symbol thing (cool btw, I think it's mainly a question of size/look), a beautiful map that would have been a serious competitor when finished .

Great work on this map. Too bad that you could not finish it in time for the challenge. I agree with other on the city icons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast