Thread: Scuttle Island

Map Scuttle Island

This is my first map. I'm not sure it will ever really be 'done' but figured for my first map it's about as close to 'done' as I'll get. As I practice and get better I'm fairly certain I'll redo it. But for now it will do.

Background:
    This is Scuttle Island. The setting for the next arc in my home-brew D&D campaign (which will most likely last the next 12 months). It's a tropical island far to the west from the main continent that typically sets the stage for the players. I like to think of it as Skull Island meets the Isle of Dread and Black Sails. It's sparsely populated by explorers (a few that have taken the time to sail the coast and make a map with names ), adventurers and pirates looking to hide their loot. There are 5 hamlets (essentially) - with most of the island's inhabitants living at Breakwater Harbor and Hangman Harbor. I wanted a break from the typical dungeon crawls - this island is giving me a bit "freedom".

I hope you like it. Would love to know what you all think. Off to start my next map (which will of course be part of my Scuttle Island Campaign)!

Created in: Photoshop and Illustrator

Used the following tutorials to get me started:
    Making Maps with Photoshop by Jezelf
    Creating Mountains and Other Terrains in Photoshop v1.5 tutorial by Pasis

The WIP thread can be found here:
    https://cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=34758

Finished Map
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scuttle Island v3.4a.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	5.66 MB 
ID:	86905
    Last edited by ajrittler; 08-23-2016 at 09:28 PM.

That is a very fine first map indeed. The colors are great, as is the use of texture. The font works well for this piece as well. I think the border and key might have been better off being an off-white gray color, rather than straight up white. The contrast is a bit too sharp for my taste. Otherwise very well done. Have some rep.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    That is a very fine first map indeed. The colors are great, as is the use of texture. The font works well for this piece as well. I think the border and key might have been better off being an off-white gray color, rather than straight up white. The contrast is a bit too sharp for my taste. Otherwise very well done. Have some rep.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    A bit late in - thanks for the comments and rep arsheesh! I might play with the border a bit more on this (eventually).

This is really beautiful and for a first map spectacular. Love the sea texture and glow of the shallows, work well with the deep dark greens of the island. Work on the key and border as arsheesh suggests and you have yourself a pretty nice start on your cartography career

I think you've handle the text for the most part really well, maybe the river type, might flow better. Is Jellyfish Lake the same as "The Eye" or a swampy area just above, not sure. Black dots with white outline? try alternatives?

This is a really nice map, expertly done and full of character. The color scheme and texture work well for me, and I love the names for local features. For a first map this is outstanding work.

My one comment involves the southwestern neck of the island, in which you have two jutting spurs just above the text for "Hunter's Point." These two spurs have an unnaturally straight line for their western edges, running unnaturally north-south, and it looks as if the southwestern neck was glued onto the larger island mass at a slightly different scale. It makes for a jarring artifact in an otherwise smooth and natural set of shorelines.

I would agree with snodsy that some of the labels are a little confusing; in particular the "Volanti Gorilla [ill?] Forest" is very difficult to read. But I love how you've laid out so many rivers, channels, ponds and lakes, not to mention the various fringing reefs and islands. The entire map feels rich with adventure and hazard, and I'd love to run ashore and start exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    This is really beautiful and for a first map spectacular. Love the sea texture and glow of the shallows, work well with the deep dark greens of the island. Work on the key and border as arsheesh suggests and you have yourself a pretty nice start on your cartography career

I think you've handle the text for the most part really well, maybe the river type, might flow better. Is Jellyfish Lake the same as "The Eye" or a swampy area just above, not sure. Black dots with white outline? try alternatives?
    Thanks for the comments snodsy! Jellyfish lake is basically taken from the "real life" Jellyfish Lake in Palau. I saw it years ago and it fascinated me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
    This is a really nice map, expertly done and full of character. The color scheme and texture work well for me, and I love the names for local features. For a first map this is outstanding work.

My one comment involves the southwestern neck of the island, in which you have two jutting spurs just above the text for "Hunter's Point." These two spurs have an unnaturally straight line for their western edges, running unnaturally north-south, and it looks as if the southwestern neck was glued onto the larger island mass at a slightly different scale. It makes for a jarring artifact in an otherwise smooth and natural set of shorelines.

I would agree with snodsy that some of the labels are a little confusing; in particular the "Volanti Gorilla [ill?] Forest" is very difficult to read. But I love how you've laid out so many rivers, channels, ponds and lakes, not to mention the various fringing reefs and islands. The entire map feels rich with adventure and hazard, and I'd love to run ashore and start exploring.
    Thanks so much for the comments Sanderling! Appreciated! I had so much fun creating this. I know I'll get back to it and make updates and different "versions". You are correct - that part of the neck HAS to be fixed. I never realized until another member pointed it out. I noticed a few places are tough to read...very dark against the green.

Our next D&D session is 9/17/16 - looking forward to fleshing out this island in other ways!

Thanks all!