Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2016 challenge: Dracula, The Origins of a Name

Guild Expert

Wip October 2016 challenge: Dracula, The Origins of a Name

Now that I’ve had my computer replaced, and it finally arrived in the mail today, I’m excited to get back to working on some maps.

I’m joining the monthly challenge again not because I have any interest in vampires whatsoever, nor do I know much about them, but because last months challenge finally forced me to finish a map. I learned so much by being forced outside of my comfort zone, and the time constraint pushed me to look past my pickyness, and self doubt instead of starting things over, and over and never getting anything done.

I’m starting a little late so I’m really doubtful that I’ll be able to finish in time, but I’m going to try anyway.

I’m going to be doing a map of Romania, highlighting any points of interest relating to Dracula, things that inspired it, and historical sites, and significant areas relating to Vlad the impaler also known as Vlad Tepes the real life figure, and his family said to have inspired the story.

I don’t know what style I’ll be doing yet, probably something old and historic looking, maybe a style from the time Vlad Tepes ruled, or... something modern, and more of an info dump, or tourist attraction type map, or something you might find in an encyclopedia, I really don’t know.

In doing a quick internet search tonight, some of the places I’d like to include are...

Bran Castle, of course, said to have inspired Bram Stokers Dracula.

Sighisoara, Vlad Tepes birthplace, also known as Vlad the impaler, the second son of Vlad Dracul.

Arefu, the location of Vlad Tepes “real castle” Poienari Castle.

Targoviste, the capital of Wallachia where Vlad Tepes ruled, and was crowned at the princely court.

And Snagov monastery where his body is said to be buried.

The map might have to reach outside of Romania because I’d also like to mention the Order of the Dragon which is where Vlad Dracul’s name originated from...Actually now that I think of it...it might be fun to just track the origins of the name Dracula hmmm....I don’t really know.

So l thought I’d stake my claim, unless my idea total sucks... in which case I have nothing to worry about.

Guild Expert

I've decided I'm going to do this in the style of an old 15th century map, I'm going to try and match the style as closely as I can. I guess that means I should get started, I hope to have the beginnings of a WIP in the next few days... time permitting.

Great idea kacey!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Sounds cool Kacey! Your last entry was great, so I'm looking forwards very much to this one!

I can't wait to see this one either

Guild Expert

I haven’t made it very far yet, but I’ve got most of the border in, still have to add lat, long numbers, and got started on the design for the title box. The box needs a lot of work yet so don’t give it much mind at this point, I’ll be going over it again, and doing some hatched shading in it.

I use this texture a lot, tho I normally clean it up quite a bit, but this time I’ve left it dirty. It’s actually a piece of butcher paper, and those dark spots are actual blood so I thought it was fitting to leave it in this time, let me know if it’s too much. I’ll probably remove, or move some of the creases... It’s a start anyway, you should be able to tell where I’m going with it, still so much to do.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	October Challenge, Romania.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	8.07 MB 
ID:	88357

Oh no! don't get rid of the creases and the blood! Definitely don't get rid of the blood. Its a fantastic texture - already has that... ee-yuw factor

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh no! don't get rid of the creases and the blood! Definitely don't get rid of the blood. Its a fantastic texture - already has that... ee-yuw factor
    Alright then, I'll keep the blood, tho I may move it a tad to the left, or maybe flip the texture so it's on the other side, I'm finding it's bit close to the title box. Thanks for the input.

It looks great. More blood might not be a bad thing either

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    It looks great. More blood might not be a bad thing either
    Thanks J.Edward

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast