Thread: Help Sought on Mountain Symbols

Help Help Sought on Mountain Symbols

(First of all, this is my first posting here so apologies if I've picked the wrong forum; this seemed like the most likely place to get useful feedback.)

I have been working for a while on a program to generate fantasy maps, based on the map generator created by Martin O'Leary last summer. Lately I've been spending some time on procedural generation of mountain symbols, based roughly on examples like Cereth's symbols:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image55.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	90310
    I have been documenting my progress on my blog, Here Dragons Abound, but here are some examples of the generated mountains:

Name:	Image96.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	90311
    These are all generated as vector images (SVGs), so they can be opened in Inkscape for editing and dynamically scaled. (Right now it's not optimized to be edited, but you can get a sample .svg here if you want to try playing with a mountain.)

Although I'm generally happy with the look of the mountains as shown above, I find that when I scale them to a much smaller size (about 25% of the above) to use on a map that they don't look nearly as good, even after I tweak them for better rendition:

Name:	Image94.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	90312
    I feel like they lose a lot of their style and look clumsy.

Now it may just be that this kind of mountain symbol is not going to look good at this scale no matter what, but I'm hoping that the good experts here at the Cartographer's Guild might have some advice or ideas to help me improve the look of these at the smaller scale. I'd also be grateful for any pointers to good finished maps that use this sort of symbol, so I can see in context better how they are used. Thanks in advance for any help!

(If I can pay back any help by generating some symbols as SVGs or PNGs for people to take and use as they'd like, I'd be happy to do that.)
    Last edited by srt19170; 12-17-2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: typo