Thread: The Continent of Dordrien

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip The Continent of Dordrien

Long time lurker, second time poster. So I thought I had a finished map, as referenced by this post https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=43291. But the rivers were pointed out to me so I decided to take another try at the rivers after consulting the linked informative thread. So thought I'd post a WIP thread for some more CC.

This is for my homebrew D&D world. After decades of notes I've finally decided to flesh out the map. I was interested in creating a map that looked hand-drawn on parchment with light color added to it. I've always preferred top-down maps over others so I did many sketches.

Here is the initial sketch
    Dordrien continent drawing.jpg

I then drew over the sketch in GIMP with a parchment background
    Gimp Drawing.PNG

Laid down some shadows
    Gimp Shadows.PNG

Initially, I went and laid down color, cities, towns, and names, and called it done. But decided to go back and lay out the elevations and rivers:
    Gimp Elevations.PNG

With the new river layout, I then went back and adjusted the colors. (for next post)

Wip

Here is the map with all of the color laid in.

Gimp Color.PNG

Next step, tackle cities and kingdoms. I've changed the scale of the continent from my initial designs, so I think the kingdoms need to be smaller and tighter. I'll do some kingdom borders prior to laying out the cities.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like it - it has a very old-school Mike Schley feel, so... win! Rivers look good, and its a great layout in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I like it - it has a very old-school Mike Schley feel, so... win! Rivers look good, and its a great layout in general.
    Wow, thanks! I'd be lying if I said Schley wasn't an influence.

Here are the borders and cities and major towns.
    Gimp Locations and Boundaries.PNG

And here it is with the names laid in and layer effects in place.
    Gimp Names.PNG