Thread: Greetings

Default Greetings

Greetings all,

I'm Paul. I like maps and I like drawing.
    Stumbled across the site and thought I'd stay awhile and hopefully get some critiques on my map making, with the hopes of being able to charge some coin for a map.
    I'm starting by joining the lite July/Aug lite mapping challenge - Shape of Things.

I'll see you around

Glad to see people jumping in on the challenges right away, that's a perferct way of getting your feet wet. Welcome to the Guild!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

All you need is a couple of solid portfolio examples to get started charging for it–I think I had, oh, two maps in my portfolio on Fiverr the first time I did a map commission. Please note this is not recommending you start on Fiverr. Oooof... not the best freelancing experience in the world, but I did leave there with a much larger fantasy map portfolio and an accidental beginning of a career due to the sudden disproportionate amount of fantasy maps I'd created (at the time I was the only one on that site that offered them and I got swamped and overwhelmed because maps take longer than the prices you get to charge on Fiverr lets you make). So yeah, do a lite challenge if that'll get you a nice sample piece. It's a great way to get started because this month's provides you with a map template to begin dressing up and testing your digital art skills!

There are many ways to potentially monetize fantasy maps, it's worked out very well for me. I started drawing when I was 14 and started monetizing them around a decade later, though it would have taken less time if I was trying to monetize it earlier than that. You really just need a couple of good pieces of bait to show your skills and the challenges are a fine way to get those samples in your belt. Not that I've done them, but I support people who want to do them. Good luck and welcome to the guild.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Thanks for the advice Tiana! Yes I've heard of Fiverr before, unfortunately like your experience haven't heard much good about it, I'm going to do the challenges to build up a small portfolio, but also just to have an excuse to re-learn some of my geography, it's seems quite useful to use climate to help dictate some of the placement of things. Thanks for the support! See you around.