Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falkreach - a map of a frigid region

Map Falkreach - a map of a frigid region

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falkreach-roads-color-text-small.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	597.2 KB 
ID:	117183

Made this one to test out World Creator's potential to do overland maps. So this is a World Creator render with Other World Mapper roads/rivers on top. I'm planning to do tunnel maps of the mines and sell it as a set, since this one isn't a commission I am free to share it here and I wanted to because I think the results were gorgeous.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I love the atmosphere of the map! Especially the colours and shadows hinting at an aurora in the distance.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

This looks reaaaaally great! A wonderful style, and high-quality too!

Looks so nice I had to check out the software you mentioned and then close the tab when I saw how much it costs, no wonder it gets good results!

Thanks, DrWho42, I saw some amazing aurora in my life and whenever I do northern art I like to add a hint of sparkling color to suggest their overhead presence.

Thanks, Wired, I agree this one's quite high quality, I was shocked that this result managed to come from me, my art is usually more sketchy. This is what happens when I use 3D art and vector art.

Thanks, QED42, apparently everyone's favorite number today is 42, yeah, World Creator cost me multiple hundreds of dollars, it hurt a lil bit, I will be claiming it on my taxes as a business expense along with the video card I had to buy to handle it. Good news is, I bought World Creator, so it's statistically quite likely I'll use it to create some texture resources for those who want the overhead look and don't actually need or want an entire world you can run around in. It is the most expensive program purchase I've ever made. I got it both for a client who wanted a 3D model of their world, and also to make myself more future-proof, as I want to apply my world creating skills to making virtual realty environments and textures too.

Oh yeah, while it does not include the roads and houses and rails and all, the 3D underlying terrain can be run around in.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.

Awesomely beautiful map! Reminds me of looking at glaciers from above.

Thanks, Wired. That was some of my aim!

really beautiful. Love the colors.

I just dare to say that the gradient at the edges looks a bit off to me.

And i wish i had never heard of World Creator.

Thanks, Levtrona. Unfortunately I can't think of a free program that does what it does, but I would consider it to be a program that's low importance for anyone who just wants to make nice digital art maps. I intend on pushing forward to start making game and VR content, so the investment made business sense for me. I've already made one repeating texture from this map, though, and once I have a decent collection of 3D mapping fills, I'll release them.

What about the edge gradient is off to you? I assume you mean the electric blue. I like giving things lightsaber glows, that's basically my only defense. And I wanted to imply there was a cold wind a blowin so I picked blue.

I created the underlying mines and caves. I actually made one other file for this, for the northern end, but since I think I'm going to package it all up and sell it as a quick setting, I'm going to withhold that particular asset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	falkreachmines.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	286.2 KB 
ID:	117320  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast